is it possable to brew a beer like ....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willee

Reaction score
Budwiser, Coors, Bush .... lite colored clear American beer with little hop flavor?
I want to us this as a base to add hops till I find the level and flavor of hops I prefer.
Every American style beer (all grain) I have made so far is to dark in color and to hoppy.
Anyone have a good all grain recipe for a very clear American style beer?

If it were me I would go with a SMASH (Single Malt Single Hop) until you find what you like.

Marris Otter, Two Row or Pilsner Malt plus a hop of your choice should give you exactly what you're looking for.

Easy to brew and gives you a lot of options and you can try different yeasts as well!

+1 to the SMaSH for sure if you're looking to figure out your tastes. Some of the best beers (and smoothest drinking beers) I've ever made I've been smash beers.

If you're able to lager that's another route if you want something super light. Pilsner malt and some hops just to bitter.

your bud, coors, bush examples are the beers that most of us tend to avoid! I agree with the SMASH idea. Pick a malt then try different hops and/ or hop schedules until you find something that you enjoy. If bud, coors, bush are what you enjoy then an adjunct lager might be what your looking for. You are not going to achieve a flavor similar to them with an ale yeast, and no SMASH brew will even get you close.

You might want to look into making a cream ale. The beers you listed have heavy adjuncts like corn/rice lightening the body & taste. With these beers I like to mash low ~145. These are among the hardest beers to brew as their is very little to hide errors in your process! If you are looking for clarity I suggest cold crashing & using gelatin. Cream of 3 crops is one recipe I'd suggest.

It sounds like you don't want to drink a BMC, you just want a low flavor carrier for your hops. Do an American 2 row or pils based SMaSH, you'll get exactly what you are looking for.

Ferment it with a very clean yeast at a low temp (i.e. Wlp001 or US-05 at about 60 degrees).

This will enable you to get a feeling for the aroma and flavor of the hops. Bitterness and hop rates are dependent on too many other things in the beer so don't try to use this experiment to judge these aspects.

You might want to look into making a cream ale. The beers you listed have heavy adjuncts like corn/rice lightening the body & taste. With these beers I like to mash low ~145. These are among the hardest beers to brew as their is very little to hide errors in your process! If you are looking for clarity I suggest cold crashing & using gelatin. Cream of 3 crops is one recipe I'd suggest.

Agreed. Here is BierMuncher's recipe.

I've brewed beer that is even lighter color than Biermuncher's but I don't recommend it. I think I could have had similar results with pouring a little vodka into a glass of water.:p

Thanks so much for this reference ... the photo is exactly the color and clarity I am looking for.
Gonna brew up 6 gal this weekend.
This might be the base beer I am looking for to start my flavor journey into Home Brewing.

Let me know how it goes. If you ever want a hand with brewing a batch, let me know and I'd love to come brew with you. I sound like I"m inviting myself, and I guess I am.................:D

I don't brew while we're in Texas (too much stuff to haul!) and this year I'm not even bringing kegs with us, so I'd love to have the chance to brew or drink a homebrew with a fellow brewer.

We live in Rockport from Jan-March. If you're interested in a brewing assistant or taste tester sometime, let me know!

My wife's preferred beer is just 9# of 2 row with 1oz of Goldings @60 minutes/US-05 yeast... makes a nice almost 6% beer. I even use it with a late 1oz of Centennial addition for my pale ale.

This is a recipe for a three gallon batch I brewed. I wanted a flavorfull lager, but wound up with a very light low flavor beer. So much so that I am either going to blend it or dump it. But it might be close to what you are looking for.

4 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 97.1 %
2.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 2.9 %
0.1 oz Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 9.9 IBUs
0.5 oz Saaz [2.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 4.6 IBUs
0.5 oz Saaz [2.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 1.5 IBUs
0.5 pkg Saflager Lager (DCL/Fermentis #W-34/70) Yeast 6 -

RockPort is about a 25 min drive from Corpus Christi.
When you get settled in this Jan give me a call.
Can always use advise about brewing beer and any help would be much welcome.
I have a GrainFather and about 30 lbs of Pilsner malted grain.
I will be working away from home this spring and want to get something lagering in the cooler before I go away.

William Lee
361-563-1303

Let me know how it goes. If you ever want a hand with brewing a batch, let me know and I'd love to come brew with you. I sound like I"m inviting myself, and I guess I am.................:D

I don't brew while we're in Texas (too much stuff to haul!) and this year I'm not even bringing kegs with us, so I'd love to have the chance to brew or drink a homebrew with a fellow brewer.

We live in Rockport from Jan-March. If you're interested in a brewing assistant or taste tester sometime, let me know!

Budwiser, Coors, Bush .... lite colored clear American beer with little hop flavor?
I want to us this as a base to add hops till I find the level and flavor of hops I prefer.
Every American style beer (all grain) I have made so far is to dark in color and to hoppy.
Anyone have a good all grain recipe for a very clear American style beer?
I'm all for experiments in home brewing, I've done a few myself.
But conceptually, using an American Light Lager to test flavor profiles for hops seems somewhat puzzling to me.
If big lager brewers could make a decent hoppy beer by just adding hops to their existing lagers, you would see that in the market place.
Sure, some hoppy lagers can be found, but the drinking public hasn't made them a big commercial success.
My theory is that a truly drinkable beer has the various components in balance. BUD Light is a big seller because the light beer flavor, no hop character and fairly low alcohol all work together.
IPA's generally have a stronger malt backbone and a higher ABV to stand up to the various levels of hops that are used.
To make things more complicated, finding the level and flavor of hops you like is a moving target because all the different varieties of hops bring different flavors and bitterness to the beer. Another factor is that hops are different from year to year, have differences because of their growing locations and climate and can be different because of the way they are stored and processed.
The good news is that someone else has already done most of the flavor/bitterness experimentation for you.
I would suggest starting with trying as many commercial beers as you can that have flavors you like. Then set out looking for clone versions of those beers and figure how to tweak the beer to suit your taste.
If you really want a lager in your cooler while you are away, just brew a lager you like without the hop experiment and you'll have something good to drink when you get back from your travels. Good Luck and Merry Christmas!

Back