Is it P-lynn-y or P-line-y??? Pliny the Elder Pronounced!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you pronounce Pliny

• P-Lynn-y with "Lynn" in the middle

• P-Line-y like a pine tree with an L in the middle

• Other: See my explanation.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Regarding the debate about the pronunciation for the name, would you be alright if different people pronounced your own name any way they chose or would you think it disrespectful towards you if you corrected them on the pronunciation but they continued to say it "the way they wanted to"?

Generally I the once I know the correct pronunciation I try to remember to use that in all instances because a name is a name, and also because why continue to appear ignorant when it's easy enough to use the correct pronunciation?

Regarding the debate about the pronunciation for the name, would you be alright if different people pronounced your own name any way they chose or would you think it disrespectful towards you if you corrected them on the pronunciation but they continued to say it "the way they wanted to"?

Generally I the once I know the correct pronunciation I try to remember to use that in all instances because a name is a name, and also because why continue to appear ignorant when it's easy enough to use the correct pronunciation?

Once I'm dead, you can pronounce my name Rufus for all I care.

In the RR brewery, they pronounce it Ply-knee. My friend, Pliny, pronounces his name Plin-knee.

I dont think Ive ever heard someone pronounce it "plin-knee"... Of course its not a beer we see on the reg, so its not usually a conversation piece

Does this remind anyone else of the gif vs jif argument? Anyway, 'plin-knee' just feels wrong so I will continue to say 'ply-knee' regardless.

Does this remind anyone else of the gif vs jif argument? Anyway, 'plin-knee' just feels wrong so I will continue to say 'ply-knee' regardless.

Only difference is there are historical accounts with Pliny the Elder. Gif/Jif is newly evolved and open to interpretation. HOWEVER, I did see it as a question for JEOPARDY and Alex made the comment, he would have accepted either GIF or JIF. :rockin:

Plinny is the philosopher
Pline-y is the beer.

And don't get me started on the pronunciation of the Unibroue beers.

Fin du Monde = Fah(in) duh mond(e).
Maudite = Mow-d(tz)eet.
U2 = U^^ D-(e)uh
Eau Benite = Oh Bay-knit.

MC

What about Uinta?

As of this post:

P-Lynn-y with "Lynn" in the middle 26 32.50%
P-Line-y like a pine tree with an L in the middle 51 63.75%
Other: See my explanation. 3 3.75%

I'd say "P-Lynn-y" has a solid following... Maybe the 32.50% should write a letter to RR...

I think it's like "primer." If you're talking about paint, it's "Prime-er." If you're talking about a reader, it's "Primm-er."

Similarly, if you're a beer reviewer on YouTube, it's "Plinn-ee."

If you're just a human, it's "Pline-ee.":mug:

What about Uinta?

The Uinta Mountains /juːˈɪntə/ are an east-west trending chain of mountains in northeastern Utah extending slightly into southern Wyoming in the United States.

The brewery and the good people of Utah can pronounce it however they want, but who could ever argue with Wikipedia?

Edit: juː cute, mule, puny, beauty, huge, you, tune[

Who knew? Here I've been calling it jew-IN-tuh for the last 5 minutes. Before thatI thought it was you-EEN-tah.

Why... why, I must ask... would anyone think it is "slime"?

The odds of it being "slime" are, well... you figure it out.

:)

People who pronounce it p-lynn-ee are so very hipster. 'Look at me! I'm a uber-beer geek! I googled Pliny the Elder and I know all about him!'

Nobody gives a crap. Drink your beer.

People who pronounce it p-lynn-ee are so very hipster. 'Look at me! I'm a uber-beer geek! I googled Pliny the Elder and I know all about him!'

Nobody gives a crap. Drink your beer.

I'm actually the one that does care. I hate ignorance.

Most of you can't even get your hands on the beer, so don't worry about pronouncing it right. For all you know, it could be a beer of urban legend.

Most of you can't even get your hands on the beer, so don't worry about pronouncing it right. For all you know, it could be a beer of urban legend.

No way man. No one believes me but I've seen it! The sun was going down and it was just for a moment but I swear it was pliny. Though It was so quick I didn't even have time pull out my untappd before it just vanished. It's out there man.

No way man. No one believes me but I've seen it! The sun was going down and it was just for a moment but I swear it was pliny. Though It was so quick I didn't even have time pull out my untappd before it just vanished. It's out there man.

Sure that wasn't Green Flash?

I was corrected at a beer store when I called it ply-knee. They very arrogantly corrected me telling me it was plin-nee. Then I listened to an interview with vinnie who pronounced it like me.

Back