Is it P-lynn-y or P-line-y??? Pliny the Elder Pronounced!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you pronounce Pliny

• P-Lynn-y with "Lynn" in the middle

• P-Line-y like a pine tree with an L in the middle

• Other: See my explanation.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Spent a summer in St. Louis when I was in College. I'm sure Louis IX, French Monarch who it was named after, and the rest of the Louis legacy would be aghast at the local pronunciation of one of the local towns.

Creve Coeur means 'Heart Break', literally torn heart, in French. The French would pronounce it krev-koor. Having taken French in HS I thought I was all that, but finally capitulated to the locals pronunciation: kreeve core.

I'll say Plinny and enter into a history discussion with anyone who cares to correct me, just as I was that guy in St. Louis trying to offer a heritage lesson to the locals in the late 70's.

This freaking thread is still going???? I've got to unsubscribe. This is just insane. I've had this beer several time. I call it what I want. I can't believe the bickering here.

Out.

index.php

It's all good. :mug: I'll catch ya around on the how to pronounce "Saaz" thread.:mug:

I think it's pronounced Plooney... Like George Clooney but with a 'P'...

i refuse to read this entire thread, but any input from any greeks? when you wonder about the pronunciation, ask the native speakers

Latest posts

Back