Is it P-lynn-y or P-line-y??? Pliny the Elder Pronounced!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you pronounce Pliny

• P-Lynn-y with "Lynn" in the middle

• P-Line-y like a pine tree with an L in the middle

• Other: See my explanation.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have a question for those of you pronouncing it the correct way. Is it more important to you to hear a word pronounced correctly and have to endure the person pause their sentence and make a very obvious and conscious attempt at pronouncing a word correctly, or forgo that social awkwardness and let people say a word incorrectly.

I would much rather hear a person walk around a Mexican restaurant saying "kay-suh-dill-uh" than hearing some midwestern teenager practice rolling their R's when ordering a Churro.

I ordered a sandwich called "The Coyote" with correct pronunciation once and the server looked at me like i was nuts.

I have a question for those of you pronouncing it the correct way. Is it more important to you to hear a word pronounced correctly and have to endure the person pause their sentence and make a very obvious and conscious attempt at pronouncing a word correctly, or forgo that social awkwardness and let people say a word incorrectly.

I would much rather hear a person walk around a Mexican restaurant saying "kay-suh-dill-uh" than hearing some midwestern teenager practice rolling their R's when ordering a Churro.

It's easier for me, as an American, to say "plinny" than to roll my Rs. I'm also one of those history types, so I like to at least pronounce the names of historical people or places the right way, especially if it's easy for me to do so.

I say Plinny, but then I live nowhere near anywhere I can get it, so it doesn't really come up that much. :/

Plinny is correct, but if I ever get the chance to order it, I promise you I will not pronounce it correctly. I would rather have the opportunity to drink the beer than to correct the great unwashed.

Well, languages happen. We'll live through it I'm sure.

I don't really care that she always closes the windows before dinner, but thanks for the view of how it is said so many ways. Greco-Roman etymology is prevalent in all of those sentences.

My Classics prof in College was partial to Plynnie. He also said SOCK-rah-tees. My b-i-l married a Greek girl whose father they called Sew-CRAT-ees.

Things change over time and I'm straddling the line with Plynnie and SewCRATees.

This reminds me of back in junior high school when our science teacher taught us about Pith-a-GOR-us and our math teacher taught about Pi-THAG-or-us. We pitted them against each other and got a kick out of the passive-aggressive and sarcastic responses we got from them about each other.

My BA is in history and it was pronounced "Plinny," like "skinny," by my profs, but I understand the brewer uses the long "I." I'd really like an opportunity to drink it and not just pronounce it, but haven't seen it in FLA.

No, no, no. It it spelled like "Pliny" but it's pronounced "Throat warbler mangrove"!

Well, there's the historical "Pliny", then I got to wondering that since the beer has some resiny hop qualities, that maybe the brewer's pronunciation is alluding to the piney/resiny qualities, interjecting " piney" into " pliney"?

is it a beer thats easily reproducable as a much much cheaper homebrew?

trick question, such a thing aint not dint exist.

Back