Is it ok to use top cropped yeast from a NEIPA in an American Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
I know you can step up in gravity when you reuse yeast but, is it ok to step down?
Also, is it ok to reuse the heavily hopped NEIPA yeast in a very mildly hopped American Wheat beer?
The American Wheat is %5.25 ABV. The NEIPA is %7 ABV.
The American Wheat has 1.5 oz of hops. The NEIPA has 9.5 oz hops.
If I use the NEIPA yeast to make an American Wheat, will it mess up the flavor of the American Wheat? Anything else I should know about a situation like this?
I hope this makes sense. I'm not really sure how to articulate it better.
The yeast on top of the NEIPA looks nice and clean but, I just don't know if since it was used in such a hoppy beer, would it make the lighter beer taste funny or anything.
Thanks Guys.

My guess would be that it would be OK. You could make a starter and then chill and decant when it finishes if you're concerned? Kind of like a revitalizing wash.

You may get a little residual flavor bleed over (probably lots of hop particulate up top). That’s your call whether desirable or not. The more important factor to me would be pitch rate and yeast health. If you started with a big healthy pitch in your NEIPA that’s been reused sparingly and you’re able to collect enough, you should be ok. Ultimately, very doable with what I’d call marginal downside.

i'd 'crop' a bit more than normal, as i've heard/read that super hoppy beers can essentially coat the yeast cell in hop oils and render them more or less trapped.

other than that, i think the yeast strains that are good for neipa should work very well with a wheat ale.

Back