Is it ok to brew beer if I don't have a beard ??

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Curtis2010

Reaction score
Brew Master for Rana Dorada (Golden Frog) brewery here in Panama does not have a beard. They have 3 locations around Panama City now and turn out consistently good brews. Assistant Brewer has no beard either. Brew Master was also involved in the start up of Bogotá Beer Company which is the flagship of Colombia's growing craft brew industry (I plan to be in Bogotá next month...yum).

I have a beard and a lot of folks like my homebrew.

So, maybe there are other variables besides just the beard.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
I remember back in 2011 when this thread was started it was quite humorous. Now, 3 years later, not so much. I vote we put a stake through the head of this zombie.

thadeus_d3

Reaction score
Official law states that you can brew without a beard, as long as you brew with no shirt on.

Yreval

Reaction score
When I first got into this hobby, I had no idea that this was the stereotype. But, I have a beard, and so does the friend who got me started.

Oh well, I'm not gonna shave just to break the mold here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

day_trippr

Covid-19 Vaccine Effectivity Test Subject
Reaction score
Lemme guess: Big Mouth Bubbler Rev 1.0? ;)

It's totally ok to brew beer sans beard - as long as you have a killer 'stache...

Cheers! :D

brewpool

Reaction score
Some of the most powerful men in history sported beards. Zeus. Abe Lincoln. Mr. T. Gandalf, and look at the wizardry he was able to pull off.

If that wasn't enough to convince you, then maybe this name will...

Chuck. Norris. Yeah, that's right, I went there.

You can choose not to sport a beard but you'll only succeed in limiting your true potential. ;)

casualbrewer

Reaction score
I have a baby stache and a "neard" lol. Guess my beers will get better with time.

Murphys_Law

Reaction score
While I didn't have a beard, I hadn't shaved for a few days so I had lots of stubble, but then I went and shaved this weekend right before I brewed. Sure hope my beer turns out ok!

dreaded_rust

Reaction score
There is of course a waiver on the beard requirement for those of us that are prohibited from growing one by Uncle Sam right?

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
You need to make a reasonable case in block 10B of your DD2948. Perhaps one of the hairless Dod brewers on the forum that has gotten approval can help you to craft the appropriate entry.

Murphys_Law

Reaction score
I'm making a porter today and as I was mashing in my BIAB bag came loose, spilling some grain out of the bag and into the water. I know this only happened because I don't have a beard!

bendog15

Reaction score
I've got a goat so I barely meet the requirements. Thank god cuz I brew a lot.

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
time to resurrect this thread: who else has grown a #coronabeard?

for the first time in my life i have a full face of hair. stopped shaving at the start of the pandemic, haven't been bald-faced since.

BREWERS REPORT: i have brewed 6 times since the start of the pandemic. in blind taste-tests, 100% of tasters (AKA me) preferred the post-pandemic/post-beard beers to my pre-pandemic/pre-beard brews. some nitpickers will point out that the pre- beers are old and stale, however i counter that they were brewed without a beard so of course they're inferior - don't hide behind excuses like oxidation!!!

(i'm considering shaving for the inauguration... need to put an end to this at some point, seems as good a milestone/excuse as any other)

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i don't always brew with a beard, but when i don't. i have a 5'o'clock shadow...and usually just dump apple juice in a bucket, lol

Nick&Worty

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've always kept mine short and neat, but now I'm trying to grow it out long for the first time. It's a whole different grooming skill set! I've screwed up and had to start over like 3 times already! I think I've finally got it figured out. :cool: