Is it necessary to add yeast at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JrZyBud

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im getting ready to bottle the Northern No. 1 kit from Northern Brewer. Its been in secondary for two months and was in primary for 4 weeks before that. The ABV is 11.2%. Will it be necessary to add yeast before bottling? This is a beer that I plan on aging for a while in bombers. I usually keg and force carb and very rarely make anything that requires any age. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hey guys, Im getting ready to bottle the Northern No. 1 kit from Northern Brewer. Its been in secondary for two months and was in primary for 4 weeks before that. The ABV is 11.2%. Will it be necessary to add yeast before bottling? This is a beer that I plan on aging for a while in bombers. I usually keg and force carb and very rarely make anything that requires any age. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Wow- I'm not a big beer maker but at 11.2%, I'd say definitely to adding more yeast! But the question is- what kind? I think 11.2% would be toxic to most ale yeast strains, except for a high gravity strain. What was the original strain and the OG and FG readings?

Yooper said:
Wow- I'm not a big beer maker but at 11.2%, I'd say definitely to adding more yeast! But the question is- what kind? I think 11.2% would be toxic to most ale yeast strains, except for a high gravity strain. What was the original strain and the OG and FG readings?

+1 Did you use old ale by wyeast? I would reyeast it just so you get a fresh wave of healthy yeast to finish carbonation.

The OG was 1.112 and the FG was 1.028. The yeast strain I used was 9097 Old Ale Blend. It was a limited yeast ... might not be as easy to come by now ... Any other ideas?

Ive heard that champagne yeast is good to use and that it really doesnt contribute any off flavors. So ... should I just go with one packet of dry champagne yeast?

JrZyBud said:
Ive heard that champagne yeast is good to use and that it really doesnt contribute any off flavors. So ... should I just go with one packet of dry champagne yeast?

To me that seems the right thing to do. Does it to you Yooper?

JrZyBud said:
Oh its a 5 gallon batch as well ... also is there any chance this could potentially cause a problem with aging? I plan on aging some of these for a few years.

I don't see how it would affect aging since it's just carbonating the beer.

Back