Is it botteling time??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefstarr

Reaction score
So I have had my IPA in the fermenter for 22 days. And from my understanding u wait till the fermentation is done, not really a time limit..
What are the main things I should see when it's over.

Clear beer. No loose particals. Ipa's are good young but some stronger ones benefit frm bulk aging. I have made tasty ipas in that time frame.

At 22 days, fermentation should be done, but just take a hydrometer reading if you want to make sure. Ideally, you would take readings two or three days in a row and make sure it's not changing anymore, but after 22 days, I'd say if you're at or near your target FG, you're good to bottle.

The ONLY way to tell if fermentation is complete is by taking gravity readings and ensuring the gravity is now stable...

Thank you, now I have been pushing on the fermentation bucket lid and forcing the air out, causing the bubbling airlock to kinda suck itself down . 3 hrs later its pushed its way up. Like its still bubbling. Would u still bottle ?

Your bulging lid doesn't necessarily mean that fermentation is still active- could just be CO2 coming out of solution because you've "burped" your lid and released the stuff that has been putting enough pressure on the top of the beer to keep it dissolved (kinda like how the bubbles come up when you open a bottle- let the pressure off, gas comes out of solution). But you'd still need to take a hydrometer reading to make sure.

Thank you, you guys truly help out on the little questions books don't answer. Now that my fermenter will be empty soon. Anyone have any recommendation on a good IPA / ale recipe? Strong in the hoppy IBU category ? Ha ha

chefstarr said:
Thank you, you guys truly help out on the little questions books don't answer. Now that my fermenter will be empty soon. Anyone have any recommendation on a good IPA / ale recipe? Strong in the hoppy IBU category ? Ha ha

Just made a great imperial rye p a . Best beer i have ever had.

Back