Is it bad to bottle a NEIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad32brewing

Reaction score
So I brewed a NEIPA using Kviek yeast and bottled it a few days ago. However, today a ran across a video saying that NEIPA's should not be bottled due to the risk of oxidation. I don't own a kegging system yet so bottling is my only option. What I am basically asking is, is it true that I shouldn't bottle a NEIPA, and if I do have to bottle one, any advice on limiting its exposure it oxygen?

If you bottle you should purge them with co2, I'm not sure if you have to do both before and after. I think I've read here somewhere you should at least purge the head space after filling the bottle. Buy yourself a small co2 regulator you can attach to a sodastream co2.

There was an interesting thread on here recently about oxygenation in bottles where a few brewers tried different methods of bottling to see which resulted in the least amount of oxidation, using colour change as the indication of O2. Interestingly, purging bottles before filling didn't have a big effect. Purging headspace was effective. Splashing while filling then capping on foam was also (surprisingly to me) effective.

To answer the OP question, kegging will make it easier to considerably lower O2 exposure when brewing NEIPA. That doesn't completely exclude you from making good NEIPA in bottles though, or bad ones in kegs.

A good first step is to bottle as soon as you reach FG - don't let the beer sit too long or the yeast go to sleep and take time to wake up for bottle carbonation (which gives oxygen in the headspace more chance to do it's damage). This also gives faster bottle carbonation, so you're drinking it sooner (fresher).

Add to that a purge of the headspace or capping on foam and things are looking even better.

You could try adding metabisulfite which will scavenge O2, but I'm personally not a fan of adding it to my beers.

If you really want to go the whole hog, you can look into bottle spunding, which involves doing a 'fast ferment' test to see where FG will be BEFORE your batch of beer reaches FG, then bottle with enough remaining gravity to carbonate the bottles without adding priming sugar. That ensures yeast are still active when you bottle. There's only one other* brewer on this forum that I know that uses the method (rPh_Guy) and it is quite dedicated (although not overly difficult).

Whatever you choose to do, you'll need to drink it fairly quickly (I know, it's a hard task) - O2 will get in to bottles through the cap seal which will oxygenate any beer with time.

*I mostly keg, but have bottled a few batches using bottle spunding. It gives fantastic results.

is it true that I shouldn't bottle a NEIPA, and if I do have to bottle one, any advice on limiting its exposure it oxygen?
There has been discussion over on /r/homebrewing on bottling NEIPAs (over the last year):
as well as here (over the last couple of years):

It all comes down to minimizing the o2 . Not having a keg set up you have no choice but to bottle. So you gotta do what you gotta do. If you can get a small co2 tank it will help with limiting the o2 in your fermenter and bottling bucket.

Thank you guys so much, I'll take this all into consideration. I'm honestly getting to the point now where botteling just kind of sucks and may just take the few hundred dollar hit and get a kegging system.

How about bottle spunding. That should work. http://www.********************/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Bottle-Spunding.pdf

Back