Is Homemade wine good for you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torilen

Reaction score
All of you out there with chemical knowledge...
Supposedly a normal-size glass of red wine a day
is good for you in many ways.

Is homebrew wine good for you? Say, if I made a
wine from red grape juice? Or would you actually have
to go from a certain type of grape from scratch?

Actually, for healthy compounds like resveratrol, you are much better off taking a supplement. As far as homemade wine verses comercial wine it all depends on the ingredients and additives you might or might not use. You could also simply drink grape juice, for the antioxidants. The alcohol benefits are somewhat mixed, if there are any. Beer and wine both have some nutrients, I haven't heard any research recomending having vodka or whiskey daily. Sure it could thin your blood and maybe temporarily relive some stress, but is won't really improve your long term wellness.

It is very good for me. I spend dozens and dozens of hours picking berries and fruit. I climb and hike and spend days picking wild blackberries and huckleberries.

I I spend hundreds of hours cleaning and sanitizing, fermenting transferring and bottling.

I haven't a clue on any health benefits of the wine itself, but the associated activities are great for my mind and health.

Yes. It is good for you at 2 drinks a day, and that "goodness" is still better than NOT drinking past more than 6 drinks a day before it becomes not-good-for-you physically.

If you make wine from American grapes (Concord, Muscadine, Niagra) it is even better for you.

Research "Ellagic Acid" for the wine-specific reasons, and just know that small amounts of alcohol are better for your longevity than no alcohol in nearly every study, no matter the natural source - beer, wine, cider, etc.

Additionally, the main reason red wine is pushed as the healthy drink is a group of antioxidants called anthocyanins (I think that's spelled right). It's the dark red/purple color, and it's the same compounds found in blueberries and acia berries. But most of it is found in the skins. So a simple pressed out juice is fairly low, but if you ferment on the skins for many days, you can draw a lot more out into your wine.

Hey, thanks for all the quick and great replies.

BendOrnewbie - you made me chuckle. I could certainly see
how the activities associated would be good for you...I can
say the same when my wife and I are into jamming season.
Strawberries...peaches...blueberries and blackberries...we do
it all.

I know we have a couple of pick-your-own grape places within
an hour of my home...I'll have to look into doing that for wine. :)

You're going to have to define a "normal-size glass of red wine".

glass.png

I define a normal wine glass as something that holds 6-8 oz nicely without having to worry about spilling easily. And from what I have read, if you're going to drink red wine once a day for whatever benefits it offers, they typically suggest 6-8oz.

Again...thanks for all the replies.

Back