Is double crush a waste of time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for this tread all. I read this earlier before my brew day and of course I was in a rush and just crushed once absent mindedly. So if any of you all are curious my gravity was to be 1060ish but with the single crush I got barely 1050. So, I guess my Beer will be a session ale.

Anyone have slightly better efficiency with BIAB crush in addition to RIMS?

(Wish I had some DME on hand to make up for the difference)

Last edited:
Thanks for this tread all. I read this earlier before my brew day and of course I was in a rush and just crushed once absent mindedly. So if any of you all are curious my gravity was to be 1060ish but with the single crush I got barely 1050. So, I guess my Beer will be a session ale.

Anyone have slightly better efficiency with BIAB crush in addition to RIMS?

You'll have to be careful with too fine of a crush when you recirculate as the recirculation causes the fine particles to clog the pores of the bag and it can then overflow.

You'll have to be careful with too fine of a crush when you recirculate as the recirculation causes the fine particles to clog the pores of the bag and it can then overflow.
Ah, thanks! You’re so right. I’ve only 3 BIAB batches under my belt and I’m still trying to get used to this after years of cooler and keggles. Still on the fence. Sure, it’s great to pair down but old habits or techniques, rather, die hard.

I didn't see any efficiency difference with RIMS. As a matter of fact I never had much of an efficiency increase with double crush either now that I think about it. Mine came when i started building from RO water, but that's just me.

I didn't see any efficiency difference with RIMS. As a matter of fact I never had much of an efficiency increase with double crush either now that I think about it. Mine came when i started building from RO water, but that's just me.
Hmm, very interesting. Thank you.

... A 3 roller mill just shot way up on my brewing toys wanted list.

I have a 3 roller mill (Kegco), but the number of rollers is not the key. A two roller mill set with a tight gap will do what you need (and be cheaper, and easier to adjust).

I no longer ask the LHBS to double crush. I bought a Cereal Killer and set the rollers at .025" so one pass is all it takes. In fact that seemed a little too fine. I got a lot of trub on my last brew. But then, my bag is very coarse too. I bought a Wilsrebrew Bag and it is much finer and whole lot sturdier than my old bag

I reset the mill to .030". I'll be brewing in a couple of days so we'll see how that crush and the new bag do. My expectations are high for both.

So, I brewed an Irish Red Ale on Sunday afternoon. The Wilserbrew bag is great. It is tough, fine meshed and shaped just right. Using a single .030” crush on my Cereal Killer and the Wilserbag I got 80% efficiency on my mash. I’m plenty happy with that.

Yesterday I bought yeast, hops and grains for two different beers that I am going to brew. I asked for a double crush because they don’t do a fine crush. Am I wasting everyone’s time asking for this?

Every time I buy grains at this store I get an eye roll or a hesitation on the double crush. Yesterday the guy said, “I’ll double crush it if that’s what you want, but it won’t make any difference.”

I said, “Don’t do it then”.

He said, “No, I’ll do it, I’ll run it three time if that’s what you want, but you won’t be able to tell the difference.

Are BIAB brewers such a small group that homebrew stores don’t need our business?

If not, why not have one mill set up for a fine crush? Then they wouldn’t be asked to do a double crush.

I guess I’ll be buying a grain mill soon. But, I’ll buy my supplies some where else.

how lame. at my LHBS the guys will do anything and are always super willing to help or hear me out on my ideas. its customer service you do what ever it takes and don't ask questions haha.

I measured a couple of credit cards with a micrometer, they measured .032 I might start with that although I was thinking of setting it a little closer.
While revisiting this thread I just had a hunch to check Craigslist. Sure enough a home brewer was parting with his Grain Crusher for 40 bucks. So I just ran out and picked it up. Goodness sometimes things just work out. Now for a lottery ticket ...

A credit card can clear the rollers but not 2. After re-reading posts I’m thinking this is just about the right crush size. Unless you all think it needs to be more fine. I’m just paranoid to adjust this thing. I’ll guess find out next batch since I dont have grain right now.

Thanks for all the great info.

...A credit card can clear the rollers but not 2. ... I’m thinking this is just about the right crush size. Unless you all think it needs to be more fine. I’m just paranoid to adjust this thing...

Adjusting it is not hard, and in doing so you'll familiarize yourself with your new mill.

Depending on how thick that credit card is (they vary), and how loosely it fit between the rollers, the gap could be wider than you want it. At an auto parts store you can buy a feeler gauge set, it is made up of little tabs of sheet metal of various thicknesses. You can combine different tabs to measure most any small gap. They are cheap, and really handy to have.

I use a gap of .025, and one of Wilser's bags. I get 80+% efficiency, with no sparge and no bag squeezing (I just let the bag hang & drain over the kettle during the boil). It's so easy it's like cheating.

Edit: I do not recirculate, so the fine crush does not cause me the problems it might cause in a recirculating system. Conversion of a fine crush happens quickly, so I don't need a RIMS or other to maintain temps, insulation put over the kettle works just fine. Simplicity has its benefits.

Last edited:
Adjusting it is not hard, and in doing so you'll familiarize yourself with your new mill.

Depending on how thick that credit card is (they vary), and how loosely it fit between the rollers, the gap could be wider than you want it. At an auto parts store you can buy a feeler gauge set, it is made up of little tabs of sheet metal of various thicknesses. You can combine different tabs to measure most any small gap. They are cheap, and breally handy to have.

I use a gap of .025, and one of Wilser's bags. I get 80+% efficiency, with no sparge and no bag squeezing (I just let the bag hang & drain over the kettle during the boil). It's so easy it's like cheating.

Edit: I do not recirculate, so the fine crush does not cause me the problems it might cause in a recirculating system. Conversion of a fine crush happens quickly, so I don't need a RIMS or other to maintain temps, insulation put over the kettle works just fine. Simplicity has its benefits.
Thank you. Very helpful.
... if my credit card was thick I’d be buying an entire eBrew system!

While revisiting this thread I just had a hunch to check Craigslist. Sure enough a home brewer was parting with his Grain Crusher for 40 bucks. So I just ran out and picked it up. Goodness sometimes things just work out. Now for a lottery ticket ...

Good find. I’m a big fan of Craigslist. Just last Saturday I searched Co2 bottles on Craigslist and found a 20 pounder for $40. I bought it and drove straight to Home Depot and exchanged it for a full one for $32.

Good find. I’m a big fan of Craigslist. Just last Saturday I searched Co2 bottles on Craigslist and found a 20 pounder for $40. I bought it and drove straight to Home Depot and exchanged it for a full one for $32.
Awesome. I Always remember to check CL. There’s another one on CL in the Snohomish area if anyone is near and interested. That one is going for $70 as of this post.

Last edited:
I do, but I don't remember if it's after the first run or the second. I was just taking pics for friends but I want to say it's just one run.
I am getting roughly 90% efficiency in my BIAB setup.
here are a few pics though.
As soon as I saw the pic, I smelled the grain in the hot water. Looks good!!

Back