Is chocolate/coffee malt ever appropriate in a pale beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprichman

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to use a small amount of chocolate or coffee malts (pale or otherwise) in a pale beer in small amounts? My thought is that in a small amount (~1% of the total grist) it could possibly be used to provide a little extra depth to the malts without having a huge contribution on the flavor or color. Has anyone ever tried to make an American or English style pale beer with any of these malts? If so, how did they turn out?

:mug:

I use 1 or 2oz of chocolate or pale chocolate sometimes in various pale ales. It does just what you say and I like it. If I only want color, I use 1oz of blackprinz.

There is a recipe on the can you brew it pod cast from a Norwegian brewery that uses a bit of a dark malt (can't recall chocolate v. Other dark malts). Jamil and Tasty were shocked that it tasted like caramel malt in the beer.

Some bitters get to a deep gold / medium amber colour using just pale and chocolate / black patent. Not sure how 'pale' you'd call them.

Back