Is an IPA suppose it look like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyNado9

Reaction score
Good afternoon gents,

I attempted to brew my first White IPA tonight, not sure how it went. This is my first time fermenting in a glass Carboy, I usually primary in a plastic bucket. I noticed a large amount of debris settling on the bottom almost instantly, is this normal? it looks like it is the hops, I pitched the yeast recently so no fermentation has started. I used 4oz of hops at different intervals during my boil, did I add to many at the End? Also did I fill the Carboy to high? Original gravity was a 1.052 any feedback would be great. Thanks!

Cheers,

Bobby

image.jpg

It's normal for yeast and hops to settle to the bottom before fermentation. I bet by tomorrow morning all that stuff will be churning. I would definitely be concerned with your lack of headspace. You will definitely need a blow off on that thing or be prepared for a huge mess, ceilings and all. Looks good though, congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks perfectly normal. Yeah, you're not going to have enough headspace. Rig up a blow off tube if it's not already on there (I can't tell from the pic) because you're likely to have a volcano within the next 24 hours or so.

rig the blowoff tube into a large container as well... at least a gallon jug imo. Also looking at your fermometer you should be getting that temp lower as well or you may have off flavors and an ungodly mess from a super vigorous fermentation.

Is that temperature accurate? That is pretty warm!

What size carboy? That full and that warm you will likely need a blowoff tube. I doubt you could keep an airlock on that with the krausen that is likely to follow. I have seen IPAs look like that for a while until things settle out. What yeast strain?

Also, try to cool that thing down if you can. It looks to be around 78? Not sure what yeast you're using but 78 will cause some off flavors if it's an ale yeast. The process of fermentation will also ramp the temps higher. If you don't have a method to cool down, fill your bathtub with cold water and let your carboy take a bath for a few days, replenishing cold water as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd rack into a bucket before fermentation starts, if I were you. You're going to lose a good gallon in that vessel (and at that temp!). You can rack off of the trub if you want , but its not that important.

Thanks everyone! I am not sure about that thermometer, I took it off my cracked car boy and it hasn't moved from 78 (I am assuming its broken) my floating thermometer read 71f. I am a little worried about the blowoff, is it to last to move to my slightly larger fermenting bucket? Or how much would I have to remove for the top not to blow? I keep it fermenting in my bedroom so the last thing I want is a volcano. The Carboy is 6 gallons, I believe the bucket is 7.5 gallons. I am using Wyeast 3787 high gravity ale yeast, it said pitch around 70-75 is that to high?

If there is no activity yet and its within 8-12 hours or so I would risk moving it to the bucket. If you can't put a blowoff on that carboy I would be amazed if you didn't a nightmare roof covering volcano at some point.

Just be as careful as you can moving it along try your best to not splash etc. And of course be sanitary!

PS if you can't or decide not to and vesuvius erupts please send us photos!

I took some off the top, hoping I don't get the volcano effect. If I do I will post pictures. Here is what it looks like now, I don't want to take to much out so im hoping this will do!

image.jpg

If you can't put a blowoff on that carboy I would be amazed if you didn't a nightmare roof covering volcano at some point......
PS if you can't or decide not to and vesuvius erupts please send us photos!

I'm not familiar with the yeast strain Bobby's using, but if I'd ferment on the cooler side of the strain and attempt to minimize the mess. If i had a carboy that fulll and i was using the chico strain, i'd be dropping the temp to 58-59 after fermentation started, and raising it back to 70 after the krausen started to drop.

If there is no activity yet and its within 8-12 hours or so I would risk moving it to the bucket. (...)

Just be as careful as you can moving it along try your best to not splash etc. And of course be sanitary!
as long as there is not visible fermentation activity, it's OK to splash since splashing = aeration. there is some additional risk of infection, but it should be pretty low.

? I keep it fermenting in my bedroom so the last thing I want is a volcano. The Carboy is 6 gallons, I believe the bucket is 7.5 gallons. I am using Wyeast 3787 high gravity ale yeast, it said pitch around 70-75 is that to high?[/QUOTE]

Your bedroom is going to smell so gooooood......

As expected, she blew! It wasn't bad though, luckily. I came home from work with a little mess to clean but I stopped at my local brew store and picked up some items to make a better blowoff. I also dropped the temp to 61-62f. I can't say you guys didn't warn me!

image.jpg

was this a recipe? how did you get to 6 gallons of wort in the first place? a white IPA may not be the easiest first beer, especially fermented at room temp and likely weakened by 1 gal of extra water (assuming you were targeting a 5gal batch?)

should be interesting.

Back