Is AG really not as scary as I thought?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Country Brewery

Reaction score
Okay, I know there is more science behind AG, and some more room for error, but is it as "simple" as this? Yes, I know I'm leaving out the details - temp, volume, lbs etc - I'm just asking about the process here.

Kettle = Pot A. Cooler mash tun = B. 3rd kettle = Pot C

-Heat water in kettle (pot A)
-Transfer that heated water in mash tun (B)
-Add grains (into B)
-Let sit for 60 minutes holding the temp (B)
-Heat up sparge water (from kettle A)
-(lautering) Drain the water from the mash tun into kettle. (from B into C)
-Sparge the grains (water from A into B, draining to C)
-Boil away, 60 minute boil (pot C)

Is it really that “simple” as far as the PROCESS goes? If so why have I been so afraid of all-grain??????

yep, pretty much. i was amazed when i started at how easy it was.

tips. warm the mashtun first, so you don't loose heat. i add the grain before the water so it mixes easier. stir well (i'm assuming you know this, but it wasn't on the list). your going to loose some heat to the grains, so adjust for that. and don't forget to vorlauf.

its a lot less scary when you get all your **** and start.

Yep, that's it. Once you finish your first batch you'll think, "Really? That's what I was afraid of?" Like you said, you can get way technical with it, but you don't have to. Just because I don't know and understand the chemical processes going on, doesn't mean they aren't going on and still making my beer for me!

Yes, it's that easy. I do the opposite of rycov though - water in first to preheat the tun, then grains. No doughballs.

Same here. Water into mash tun at around 160-170, let it dip down to strike temp (this preheats mash tun) then dough in and stir with paint stirrer on a drill. This bring it down to mash temp. Close lid and wait 60 minutes. Vorlauff and drain runnings. Then subtract running from total volume needed and split that into 2 equal sparges. Once all collected, proceed as if it were extract full boil.

Software such as beersmith or promash will help you with the numbers.

I just did my first All-Grain brew this past weekend. Really wasn't hard at all, it just takes getting all the equipment put together and thinking through the steps before you start. Go for it!:mug:

Yes, it's that easy. I do the opposite of rycov though - water in first to preheat the tun, then grains. No doughballs.

minor difference, both ways work fine. just do it how ever it works for you.

I've done both and I prefer water first. Last time I added the grain then just dumped the water in and started stirring. Both ways work. It was harder to break up the clumps dumping the water in second, but probably because I've always had someone helping me dump the grain into the water so we could break up the clumps as we went.

I'd try to overshoot the temp by a couple of degrees. It's much easier to cool your mash than to heat it up.

I did my first batch using my new MT converted cooler last week... Poured the grain in first, then the mash water... Stirred with the paddle and the clumps/dough balls were gone super-fast... SO much easier than when I was using the BIAB method... Maybe it was so easy due to the size/shape of the MT... I do plan on pre-heating the MT with more water next time... Or maybe using the suggestion of using water above the strike temp, then adding the grain once it reaches strike temp... Just need to get the system dialed in as soon as possible... Just means more brew days. :rockin:

I did my first all grain this past weekend (Dennys Rye IPA) and total time including cooling to pitch temps was just over 4 hours.

While the efficiency wasnt quite what I would like (61%) I was surprised how easy it really was, now I just have to hope it tastes as good as I hear this beer should.

minor difference, both ways work fine. just do it how ever it works for you.

+1 on this too...

As long as you get the clumps out, it shouldn't matter what order you do it... I was more concerned with having enough water to cover the grains in the first batch with the MT than anything else... Pouring the grain in first confirmed, to me, that I wouldn't have an issue...

I would just mix/stir with something that won't bite the cooler or get snagged on the hardware inside it... The paddle I'm using makes short work of it. Plus, it's wood, so it's all good... :rockin:

For amount of time to actually brew AG... From the start, weighing/milling grain to pitching yeast, I was about 4.5-5 hours with my last brew day... That was with a 90 minute mash, 10 minute sparge, and 60 minute boil.. Includes wort chilling time with the IC too. Next batch could be a bit faster, if the propane tank doesn't get so damned cold (had a thick layer of frost on it by the end of the evening)... That does include some cleanup time too... I just had to do a little more once I got all my hardware home. The MT was pretty clean, and just needed a little rinse. Kettle just needed a quick wash too. Not much else needed to be done. Using the MT, and propane burner, made for a quicker brew day than when I was doing BIAB, on the stove.

I did my first all grain this past weekend (Dennys Rye IPA) and total time including cooling to pitch temps was just over 4 hours.

While the efficiency wasnt quite what I would like (61%) I was surprised how easy it really was, now I just have to hope it tastes as good as I hear this beer should.

Including cleanup? Honestly that's the only thing that's killing me right now.

I think I was 4 hours from heating strike water to yeast pitched on my last AG brew, but the kettle/mlt were only rinsed and not really cleaned well. I always end up doing all the real cleaning the day after.

Simple in theory. A little tougher to consistently nail your temps and volumes.

-

Burgs said:
Including cleanup? Honestly that's the only thing that's killing me right now.

I think I was 4 hours from heating strike water to yeast pitched on my last AG brew, but the kettle/mlt were only rinsed and not really cleaned well. I always end up doing all the real cleaning the day after.

Actually yes including clean up. I HATE the cleaning part but if I do it during the boil/cooling stages I can get the mlt clean, and sanitize the Carboy. then the only thing left is the kettle. It went quicker last weekend because it was actually nice in NY and I could hose them down outside.

Hosing them down outside sounds like the best way... I think I will make that my next process tweak. I did discover last night that cleaning the kettle in the bathtub is 10x easier than in the kitchen sink. :)

Using the waste water (or the warmed water) from your IC also helps... Did that on last week's brew day... Was able to get the cooler MT mostly clean as well as some other items... Wasn't able to do that with the kettle, but that was ok...

Having a spray hose at the kitchen sink makes cleaning the kettle much easier. Even easier when you have an aluminum kettle. :rockin: No scrubbing desired/required/encouraged. :ban:

I found all grain to be much more relaxing than extract brewing.

Clean up pretty easy if you clean as you go.

Mash tun is empty and cleaned after any boil over threat is done.

After brewing all that is really left to clean is the pot and chiller.

I actually use vinegar to rinse my pot(stainless steel) then toss the pot and chiller into the dishwasher.

Both come out sparkling clean with little to no effort on my part.

Yep, its THAT simple. Some styles require a multi-step mash, or a decoction but mostly its that simple.

Then it really becomes more about refining your particular steps to suit your particular home-breweries needs/limitations/etc, and fermentation control...so that you can consistently produce a quality product.

I found all grain to be much more relaxing than extract brewing.

Clean up pretty easy if you clean as you go.

Mash tun is empty and cleaned after any boil over threat is done.

After brewing all that is really left to clean is the pot and chiller.

I actually use vinegar to rinse my pot(stainless steel) then toss the pot and chiller into the dishwasher.

Both come out sparkling clean with little to no effort on my part.

Exactly... AG is/can be/should be relaxing. Clean as you go, reuse waste water if you can. I just wish I had a dishwasher big enough for a keggle

just jump in... lots of resources for help here. I built a cooler mash tun inspired from donosborn.com. Plus I bought the beersmith software, AG is a lot of fun...

^^^this.

Also, I think it's easier with one kettle and two cooler (and should be cheaper). Warm the sparge water while the grains are mashing and put it in the second cooler to keep warm. Then just drain the mash tun directly into the boil kettle.

L

When I started brewing a year and a half ago I started with all grain from the get go...and glad I did.

I would recommend gleaning as much info as you can from this forum as it is hands down the best source of info, in my opinion.

I've brewed 16 batches, never had a batch that was not enjoybable to drink and have never had an efficiency below 76%.

As one poster told me after my first AG batch..."Now the madness begins."

Enjoy!

I've found it very easy with the boil kettle (larger pot with the ball valve installed) smaller pot (20qt cheap pot to heat the sparge water in) and single large cooler. I simply mash in the cooler, heating the mash strike water in the kettle (usually more than the smaller pot can handle), mash in, then heat up the sparge water as it gets closer to when that will go in. I just drain the mash into the kettle, cover and wait for the sparge to complete before draining that into the kettle too...

Also means I only have one cooler to cleanup too. I have also found it's easier to fit ball valves into pots than coolers. Also means I can leave the kettle on the floor while I mash, and sparge, then just lift it up to the burner when it's all collected.

I would go with a more basic setup initially, using what you may already have on hand as much as possible. I picked up the 20qt pot for a discount (dented) from the LHBS. Made my own kettle from a 32qt aluminum stock pot, and converted a cooler I already had into my mash tun. If your cooler is already large enough for your mash sizes, then convert it. If not, then you'll want to get one that is large enough. For the amount of time the mash runnings will sit out of the cooler, and off of the heat, it's really not necessary to use a cooler. Well, unless you're in Alaska, and/or it's in the middle of winter.

Look at hardware this way, you really don't need much to do the job. A large enough pot/kettle to do your full batch boil, a cooler, or MT (or nylon bags if going BIAB), a second pot is usually very helpful, for either BIAB or when using a cooler MT. You could get away with using a bucket to hold the mash wort, while you heat the sparge water (in your kettle)... I would advise either getting, or making, a wort chiller. I think a lot of people start off using IC's, since they're easy to make, and not too expensive, plus easy to use. Some people change over to either CFC or plate chillers later. It's just a personal choice. They'll all chill your wort quickly (as long as you have a decent source of cooling water), far faster than trying to use a cold water/ice bath method.

Since I've started using the kettle (pot fitted with a ball valve) I can't imagine not using one. Yes, you can use an auto-siphon to get the cooled wort into your fermenter. But, with the ball valve, it makes it far easier, and much faster. I think my last batch drainged into primary in all of 1-2 minutes (if that). If you're at least a little handy, you can make/modify a lot of your own brewing hardware/gear. If you don't have the time, or would rather just buy it already made, you can go that route too. Again, more personal choice/preference than anything else.

Thanks for the info on the equipment. I've got a source for Sankey kegs ($25) and a guy who will weld for some homebrew! I think the cheapest setup for me will be a 3 keg system.

I'll be going out to get the ~5 gallon Sanke kegs on Sunday... Trying to get the guy down to $25 each, buying 4 of them... Otherwise, I'll probably only be able to get 3 of them. :( Would rather have four, so that I can do more things at the same time... Looks like we might be splitting the difference on cost... Seeing if I can get him to shave a few $$ more off... Homebrew has a way of making people relax... Especially the stronger stuff (my old ale is 8.1%, English BW is 9.7%, but needs time to age some more)...

If nothing else, I'll have at least 3 of the kegs come Sunday... Then it's just a matter of fitting them so that I can either put an airlock on them, or seal them up for aging. Might take one to a machine shop to see what they can do on that... Could be interesting.

-update- Getting the ~5 gal Sanke kegs at $25 each (so getting 4 of them)... Looks like we'll be connecting up tomorrow instead of Sunday too... :D

Fair word of warning: once you go all grain, there's no turning back.

For me, first it was the 5 gallon cooler and Kewler Kitz conversion kit. Then it was a larger pot for full boils. Then it was more fermenters so I could brew more batches at the same time. Then it was a growler for starters. Then it was an immersion chiller. Then it was an upgrade to a 10-gallon cooler for higher gravity batches. Then it was a BIGGER immersion chiller. Then it was a freezer and kegs. Then it was another freezer for better fermentation control. Then it was a turkey fryer for faster brew days. Then it was more kegs. Then it was a stir plate and ginormous e-flask for improved pitching rates. Then it was bulk grains and a barley crusher.

Now I'm looking into equipment to home malt gluten free grains. It never ends. Get out while you can! :D

I'll have to agree with bernerbrau on these points... Except for getting out... Once you're in, you can NEVER get fully out... At most, you'll just hold off brewing for a while, before you get pulled back in... :D

Someone will make you an offer you cannot refuse, and you'll be crushing grain again. :rockin:

I'm just hoping that my 70qt cooler (that's 17.5 gallons) does the job long enough for me...

Too late. I've only done extract so far, but am already hooked.

you only think you're hooked now.... extract is like a gateway drug... once you go AG you'll find yourself thinking of ways to save a few extra $$ in order to get that extra piece of equipment... or how you can change that last beer to make it even better..which means brewing a LOT more often.. then comes the bulk buys in grain...and your own mill... its a vicious cycle..but Ooooooooo so worth it

...extract is like a gateway drug...

Too funny, but too true!

I started extract and recently went AG. I'm already thinking about emplying a HERM system. The good thing is that, once you've gone all grain, you can still (VERY EASILY) do an extract batch if you have less time to brew or just want to chill and brew.

you only think you're hooked now.... extract is like a gateway drug... once you go AG you'll find yourself thinking of ways to save a few extra $$ in order to get that extra piece of equipment... or how you can change that last beer to make it even better..which means brewing a LOT more often.. then comes the bulk buys in grain...and your own mill... its a vicious cycle..but Ooooooooo so worth it

This hobby; It's like a high, I keep chasing it. But best part about it, is the high gets better and better as the beer gets better and better. I even find myself peddling my addiction to others - "come brew with me, it's easy, I'll teach you how, your first time is free!" Now, how do I start making money being their dealer.......

Too funny, but too true!

I started extract and recently went AG. I'm already thinking about emplying a HERM system. The good thing is that, once you've gone all grain, you can still (VERY EASILY) do an extract batch if you have less time to brew or just want to chill and brew.

I started with extract... went AG with BIAB... This weekend I'm cutting the top for my Keggle, I bought a new fridge for SWMBO and now have a dedicated beer fridge, and I'm converting a seldom used cooler to a MLT. I have 2 burners and can use my 40qt kettle as a HLT... all I need now is a stand and a pump or 2...

I'm just happy my SWMBO supports me in all my crazy hobbies.. because none of them are cheap. (R/C helicopters and planes)

Back