Is a Refractometer/Brewfractometer worth the cost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty_Ice

Reaction score
Hey guys, for those of you who own one of these gizmos, have you found them to be useful enough to warrant a $25-$100 investment? I'm starting to move from extract to all-grain and I'm trying to figure out the essential hardware to amass and this one has got me stumped. I typically brew high-gravity beers and am pretty surgical in how I approach brewing, and having an accurate ABV is always something nice to brag about.

I recommend it. It uses a much smaller sample size and is easier to use. Get one with a BRIX scale and use online tools to convert to SG. EBay models sell for ~$20.

There is one caveat to using one. Prior to fermentation, readings can be used 'as-is'. After fermentation begins you need to run your reading through a conversion tool to eliminate the impact the alcohol has on the reading. There are a lot of convertors out there. Here's one : http://www.northernbrewer.com/refractometer-calculator/

It's great for brew day, however you'll still want to take a hydrometer reading for your final gravity reading since the now produced alcohol will distort the light and give you a false reading. I made that mistake on a couple batches and thought I was having bad fermentation because the reading was higher than it actually was.

It's great for brew day, however you'll still want to take a hydrometer reading for your final gravity reading since the now produced alcohol will distort the light and give you a false reading. I made that mistake on a couple batches and thought I was having bad fermentation because the reading was higher than it actually was.

Use the Brix scale only
Use a refractometer calculator
http://www.northernbrewer.com/refractometer-calculator/

In my case this was close enough - within .001 compared to my hydrometer.

Edit: I missed b-boy's post, beat me to it

Use the Brix scale only
Use a refractometer calculator
http://www.northernbrewer.com/refractometer-calculator/

In my case this was close enough - within .001 compared to my hydrometer.

Edit: I missed b-boy's post, beat me to it

So my refractometer has both scales - are you saying not to use the other (can't think of the other scale units offhand, but basically OG) scale?

+1 to getting one of these. I use one for BIAB brewing and it's indispensable now that I can take multiple gravity readings throughout the mash/boil/pitch process. I can't imagine having to try to use a hydrometer with boiling hot wort to make sure I've reached my target "hot" gravity...

When I finally learned when to use a refractometer I would say yes get one. I take a reading during my collection of the wort to make sure I'm approaching my proper pre boil volume and pre boil gravity. I also take readings during the boil so I know when I'm getting close to my OG and proper batch volume. They sell some with a Brix and gravity reading in the sight glass, mine only has the Brix reading but you can look up a scale online or its in palmers how to brew. The thing to remember with a refractometer is that it will read a little low when the wort is hot but as the wort cools you'll see your reading rise and you also need to stir the wort real good to mix up the sugars so the more concentrated wort isn't sitting on the bottom and otherwise your reading will b off.

I like them so much I ponied up the cash for a digital one.

I have one, but I prefer my hydrometer. It is OK as a toy, or monitoring how fermentation is going (need to run thru a calculator), but I have had varying results with the accuracy of the refractometer, that I only trust my hydrometer.

You might find it useful, you may not. You don't NEED one.

It is a useful tool but not essential and doesn't replace a hydrometer. I use my mine mainly monitor the mash and boil. My hydrometer is my official method to get SG and FG.

Be aware that the SG scale may not be accurate. Use Brix and the online calculator mentioned above.

I have one because I generally do 1-gallon batches and taking big samples for a hydrometer doesn't make sense. I'm not sure which I prefer, there's a calculation aspect to both.

Yup - Brix only on the refractometer and use a calculator for FG. I personally have ditched using a hydrometer all together after measurements agreed close enough to be insignificant for my desired end product. Just remember to always take at least three readings or more - one data point is not really data IMHO.

Bottom line? 3 drops is no big deal from my 3 gallon batches vs ~50ml or more for a hydrometer = no brainier!

Latest posts

Back