Is a protein rest needed for 6-row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails111

Reaction score
I just ordered a recipe kit from AIH, with the base malt being 6-row. Here’s the grain bill:

9lbs 6-row
2lbs flaked maize
.4374lbs acid malt

I have never used 6-row before, but read it can produce haze due high protein levels. For those of you who are familiar with using 6-row, would you recommend a protein rest? If so, how long and at what temp?

Thanks for your help.

Cream Ale FTW! I've never needed a protein rest with 6-row. I've been told that with well-modified malt, a protein rest is almost never needed, and that the only reason you would want to mash at ~120 F was for a hefeweizen.

I have never used 6-row before, but read it can produce haze due high protein levels.
Untrue.

For those of you who are familiar with using 6-row, would you recommend a protein rest?
No.

I've been told that with well-modified malt, a protein rest is almost never needed, and that the only reason you would want to mash at ~120 F was for a hefeweizen.
Correct, although the necessity of a ferulic acid rest for weissbier is debatable.

Cheers

Untrue.

No.

Correct, although the necessity of a ferulic acid rest for weissbier is debatable.

Cheers
Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify (no pun intended), are you saying 6-row having higher protein levels is untrue, or that it can cause more haze is untrue, or both? Just trying to understand. Thanks again.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. A higher protein level does not create haze. Phenolic content is generally the limiting factor in creating the most common type of haze, which is formed by protein-polyphenol aggregation, often associated with oxidation.

Indeed 6-row barley has "more protein" than 2-row relative to the total weight because the kernels are smaller and thus contain less starch. The intention with the recipe was to make sure the corn starch converts during the mash by using 6-row to increase the amount of starch-degrading enzymes. This really isn't necessary with up to ~30% adjunct, so it's kind of overkill.

One more thought: The inclusion of acidulated malt is a little concerning since there's not a one-size-fits-all amount to hit an appropriate mash pH. At some point in your brewing journey it would be good to learn how to predict and adjust mash pH. (Important, but not critical for beginners)

Happy to answer further questions, cheers.

6 row having higher protein is untrue. Both 2 row and 6 row can produce the same levels of protein, all dependent on mother nature. I am a malt selector, and have seen 2 row samples over 19% protein this year. For selection, no matter if it is 2 row or 6 row, there is a maximum and minimum protein level for selection as malt barley. The growing conditions this year were very poor for malt, and selectors have been forced to push up there maximum levels just to get the product in the door. 6 row was generally used by adjunct brewers as it did have a better enzyme package than 2 row, but with breeding, modern 2 rows are just as good enzyme wise, and have better agronomics for the producers. Many maltsters have totally gone away from even selecting 6 row as the cons outweigh the pros.

6 row having higher protein is untrue. Both 2 row and 6 row can produce the same levels of protein, all dependent on mother nature.
Of course grain parameters are largely influenced by growing conditions, but also genetics (including 2-row vs 6-row type).

Fairly recent studies and books indicate that 6-row tends to produce smaller kernels and therefore various associated effects including increased protein, increased husk material, and lower extract.
Some sources:
  • Mahalingam R. Shotgun proteomics of the barley seed proteome. BMC Genomics. 2017;18(44).
  • Howe S. Raw materials. In: Smart C, ed. The Craft Brewing Handbook. Woodhead Publishing; 2019.
  • Kerr ED, Fox GP, Schulz BL. Grass to glass: Better beer through proteomics. In: Cifuentes A, ed. Comprehensive Foodomics. Elsevier; 2020:407–416.
  • Picariello G, Mamone G, Nitride C, Ferranti P. Proteomic analysis of beer. In: Colgrave ML, ed. Proteomics in Food Science. Academic Press; 2017:383–403.
So, in general, would you say 2-row and 6-row most commonly contain similar levels of protein in your experience? Furthermore, would you be able to share data that suggests a consistent overall shift in the protein levels of barley types grown within the last few years? Has the 2-row protein increased only during a particular year or in a particular region (e.g. continent)? Have you seen similar shifts in other parameters such as gelatinization temperature? I'm writing an encyclopedia and this would be interesting information to have, otherwise I need to stick with verifiable data and published sources.

Many maltsters have totally gone away from even selecting 6 row as the cons outweigh the pros.
What are the cons to 6-row if not smaller and less uniform kernel size (and the various effects resulting from that)?

Thanks in advance.

6 row does produce less uniform kernels, for sure. The mid kernel is exactly the same between 2 row and 6 row, but on the 6 row, the outside 2 kernels, so 2/3 of the kernels, would be smaller than the mid kernel. However, to say that 6 row is smaller kernels is not always the case. Metcalfe, for eg, a very popular but declining market share variety, has quite small kernels compared to newer 2 row varieties. On the other hand, newer 2 row varieties often produce kernels that dwarf older 2 row varieties. So breeding has increased kernel size quite dramatically over the last few years.

I am not going to be anywhere near an expert on all the data, so I am not going to be able to comment on that, however, on the protein side, the differences must be noted that soluble protein in 6 row CAN be considered higher on an overall basis, but total protein is often very similar, again VERY dependent on weather and agronomic practices. I can not make any comment on a year to year soluble protein difference, but total protein is so influenced by weather conditions, that there would need to be major correlation put together for weather, previous years moisture carryover, fertilization practices, disease pressure and finally total protein. I'm sure the data is out there, but for what I do, all I am concerned with is the year to year total protein.

Recent breeding has been a push (on 2 row for sure as that is where a major portion of breeding $ goes to) to bring protein levels down, but allowing for higher fertilization by the producer to maintain yields. The old school method of keeping protein levels down was to cut back on fertilizer usage, however that also had the effect of lowering total grain produced, and if the barley did not meet malt specs, you get a second kick in the butt by not having higher yields. The newer varieties are able to be more heavily fertilized, so producing more volume, but the breeding keeps protein levels in malting range.

Cons of 6 row barley, besides the lack of any money being put into it to produce better varieties, is the structure of the 6 row head. Having all the kernels develop, it creates an atmosphere inside the barley head to stay wet after rains for a longer time, thus increasing the chance of disease development, fungal issues, staining of the kernels, etc. Disease wise, saying every agronomic practice is being used, is the number 1 reason why 6 row is inferior to 2 row. And like I said before, with the new varieties being bread to do what 6 row was specialized to do years ago, ie higher enzyme packages, the pros of growing 6 row are very few. Up to a couple years ago, you could say that 6 rows yields kept them above two row, but that has also been covered by the newer 2 row varieties.

One more thing, growing conditions have a FAR FAR FAR greater effect on quality parameters than breeding ever will. Breeding for sure will make a good crop great in the right conditions, but even the best thing out there is still garbage if weather does not cooperate.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. A higher protein level does not create haze. Phenolic content is generally the limiting factor in creating the most common type of haze, which is formed by protein-polyphenol aggregation, often associated with oxidation.

Indeed 6-row barley has "more protein" than 2-row relative to the total weight because the kernels are smaller and thus contain less starch. The intention with the recipe was to make sure the corn starch converts during the mash by using 6-row to increase the amount of starch-degrading enzymes. This really isn't necessary with up to ~30% adjunct, so it's kind of overkill.

One more thought: The inclusion of acidulated malt is a little concerning since there's not a one-size-fits-all amount to hit an appropriate mash pH. At some point in your brewing journey it would be good to learn how to predict and adjust mash pH. (Important, but not critical for beginners)

Happy to answer further questions, cheers.
I appreciate the info. I will stick with with my normal mash schedule. As far the acid malt goes, AIH threw it all in one bag. So I’ll just have to roll with it. Thanks again.

I don't see any reason not to do with protein rest or an acid rest. As long as you have equipment that allows you to control temperature, start out the mash around 100F and hold it for 15 minutes before heating to your optimal beta amylase temperature. I generally stop around 1:45 F for another 15 minutes before heating to 153 F which is the best compromise temperature for beta amylase and alpha amylase activity.

The protein rest is needed more when brewing with unmalted grains and wheat and rye where you have 40 % to 50% of them in the grain bill. I like to mash in at 97*-104* for 20 min at a 1 qt /lb them bring to 143*-145* with boiling liquor. Doing a decoction to get to 160* adds an amazing bready flavor in a wit beer.

The protein rest is needed more when brewing with unmalted grains and wheat and rye where you have 40 % to 50% of them in the grain bill. I like to mash in at 97*-104* for 20 min at a 1 qt /lb them bring to 143*-145* with boiling liquor. Doing a decoction to get to 160* adds an amazing bready flavor in a wit beer.
Agree on this. Modern malting is so good at getting complete modification, that there is little to no need for rests.

I just did a pre-prohibition lager on monday with 80%ish 6 row, 20%ish flaked maize with 1/4 lb munich malt and a couple ounces of acid malt for ph predicted by brewing water program.

I followed the mash schedule Gordon Strong has for pre-pro lager in his book. It said 131 for 15 min, 145 for 45 min, 158 for 15 min, 169 for 15 min. Wort was crystal clear coming out of mash and hit gravity spot on.

Fermenting now, looking forward to this one for summer.

Last edited:
Back