Is a 8gal primary bucket really necessary for kit wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrapinj

Reaction score
going to venture into wine making very soon and most of the kit instructions I see call for a 7.8gal primary bucket.

I've seen a number of posts in misc threads comment that beer equipment is fine for primary (i'm assuming 6.5gal standard ale pale buckets)

is there a reason that I would need a larger bucket or can I use a normal 6.5gal bucket for a 23L kit?

I def will be using a 6gal better bottle/carboy for secondary etc.

You can get by with a 6.5 gallon bucket, no problem! The only issue for me is when I lift it to rack, I tend to splash it since there is only .5 gallon of headspace and it's heavy. Otherwise, you should be fine.

Some of the better kits come with grape skins in a package, and those may rise to the top in your bucket and get up under the airlock, but that still shouldn't clog up the airlock.

As Yooper said, you could get by with it. My biggest issue is that foaming can get away from you when you add nutrients/oxygen to the fermenting must, so it's nice to have a little extra space. You could also ferment in two buckets and then rack them both into the same secondary.

I use a food grade plastic tote for primary fermentation of wines with a lot of must (grapes, rhubarb, peaches, etc)

I feel it has enough surface area for the cap to float, without it getting too thick. That would make it a bit more difficult to punch down.

Also, I believe this helps with the release of CO2 and any other gasses. IMHO

food-tote-gray.jpg

Back