Is a 50L keg kettle overkill for 5 gal batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshortt

Reaction score
Hi all, I am thinking of picking up a 50 litre SS keg to use as an electric brew kettle. Is 50L overkill for doing 5 gallon (~19 litre) batches?

Thanks,
-Rob

It gives you room to grow. If you absolutely never intend to do anything more than 5 gallon batches then I would not use the keg because of the weight of it. Regular SS kettles are lighter and easier to clean.

I definitely want room to grow, but is there room enough there for 10 gallon batches? I'm kegging with 5 gal cornies so I can't see me doing anything in between.

I definitely want room to grow, but is there room enough there for 10 gallon batches? I'm kegging with 5 gal cornies so I can't see me doing anything in between.

Not for me. I like to do 11 gallon batches so I can get at least 5 gallons in a keg, my preboil is 14 gallons. I use a 15 gallon kettle for single batches and a 20 for doubles.

yes it is overkill for a 5 gallon batch. but if you ever want to make a bigger batch you already have the brew pot and don't have to shell out more cash later on.

What is the diameter? If it is too large you could get a lot of boil off. Other than that, you're golden.

I used to use a 15.5 converted Sankey Keg as my BK and did 5-6gal. batches. My preboil was generally 7.5-8.5gal. It worked for me until I moved to a smaller place so I sold it and got a 10gal Polarware. The kettle is easier to lift.

Latest posts

Back