is 60 quart too big for 5 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregkeller

Reaction score
Maybe this is a stupid question, but i'm looking for a boil pot as the final step to all grain brewing. I've found pots on amazon that seem like a really good price. The thing is, there is only a few dollars (7) difference between the 40 quart and the 60 quart. I guess i'm wondering if you can have too big of a kettle? I'm doing 5 gallon batches, and don't really see myself doing 10 gallon batches, but is 60 quarts big enough for 10 gallon batches?. My only concern then is with water losses during boiling. A bigger pot, would lose more water to evaporation during the boil (the 60 qt is 3 inches wider in diameter). I guess that is just something i can account for as i get to know my equipment and how much water I lose during a boil with a given pot.

A large number of brewers use keggles which are 15.5 gal or 62 quarts capacity for both 5 and 10 gal batches. You're good to go with the 60 qt pot.

get the 60 qt, its not to big and it will allow large grain bills. just make sure it is a well insulated cooler so you maintain the heat in the cooler.

edit: oops my bad your talking boil pots here.

I had been looking for a new kettle for quite a while. I've been brewing with a 6.5 gallon turkey fryer. I haven't thought of doing 10 gallon boils but today I scored from CL a 60 qt aluminum pot with a basic burner for $30. I couldn't pass it up and am not worried about too much evaporation. I'll just learn to compensate. I'm tired of managing boilovers!

Bithead said:
I had been looking for a new kettle for quite a while. I've been brewing with a 6.5 gallon turkey fryer. I haven't thought of doing 10 gallon boils but today I scored from CL a 60 qt aluminum pot with a basic burner for $30. I couldn't pass it up and am not worried about too much evaporation. I'll just learn to compensate. I'm tired of managing boilovers!

You'll be so happy! I use a 60qt pot for both 5 and 10 gal batches. Once you adjust for you boil-off rate, you'll think you're in heaven. Oh, wait... We brew our own beer--we ARE in heaven! :rock:

older thread, but i had the same question. i am looking forward to 10 gallon batches and partigyle brewdays of barleywine and ESB. thanks guys!

Do a 90 - 120 min boil, 5.5 gallon AG and ask yourself is 40qt is big enough. That is the real question and the answer is no.

Back