Is 60 degrees too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syd138

Reaction score
I just cooked up my first batch on Saturday. Heffe Weisen.

It is currently sitting in my glass carboy in my apartment. I looked at the thermometer and it is reading at 60.

I know they say it should be at 65 to 75 degrees.

Is this too cold? Is it going to make the yeast inactive or something?

You'll also lose some of the fruity esthers that form at the higher temps. They're part of the flavor profile.

Is the thermometer on your carboy, or just somewhere in the apartment? Because fermentation gives off heat, and it's possible the fermenter is between five and ten degrees higher than ambient.

60 will be fine. I have two brews fermenting in a 60 deg room right now. The temp on the car boys reads 70 and 73. Just wrap them in a heavy sweatshirt or something to hold in the heat. If in a week they have not droped close to fg you wakem up with a little swirl or bump the temp 5 deg.

Wrapping a towel around it should help insulate it a bit. Maybe try moving it away from any windows or doors where there might be a draft. Heck, give the darn thing a hug even! :) I do believe that yeast only go dormant at near freezing temps. At 60 the fermentation will take a little bit longer. Just give it a couple of weeks and start checking the hydrometer readings.

I looked at the thermometer and it is reading at 60.

I know they say it should be at 65 to 75 degrees.

Is this too cold? Is it going to make the yeast inactive or something?

If you are using a real German weizen yeast then you will probably get a pronounced (and pleasant) clove flavor. If you are using a dry or american weizen yeast the clove will likely be less or negligible.

I intentionally did a weizen w/3068 @ 60F and it was quite good. Took 2wks in the primary to finish up at that low temp.

I'm having the same issue.

Spot number 1 turned out to be too hot. Ambient temp under the stairs in my basement was around 74 degrees. I didnt have a thermometer on my plastic fermenter, and it is my non-professional opinion that my first batch was undrinkable due to the fact that it was way too hot.

For my next batch I've scoped out 2 areas. One is my pantry, which this morning was reading somewhere between 55-60 degrees. My second is in the open area of the basement. I left the thermometer there before I went to work but I'm going to guess it's going to be about 70 degrees.

Should I place it in the pantry or the basement?

Too cold is better than too warm. A too warm batch will form esters that may not be part of the flavor that you want, although with a Hefe you'd probably be OK with that. Too cold just may not ferment as strongly in which case you could put it somewhere warmer to get it going.

Check with a hydrometer to make sure it is finished before bottling. If the temps have slowed you down, it'll tell you.

The open area of the basement read 69 degrees this morning.
The pantry read 60.

My last batch was kept in a closet reading 73-75. Beer tasted horrendous.

What do you think?

From what I've been reading, 62* is going to be the sweet spot for a hefe so that it's not HUGE with bubblegum/banana/clove flavors.

Jamil even says so on his podcast, so if the Pope does it, it must be true. :D

Back