Is 55 degrees to cold for ale fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmunos

Reaction score
So i have a lagger that is on tap and an ale im fermenting in the fridge. The fridge temp is right around 55 degrees and im worried its too cold. I had vigorous fermentation the first 24 hours and then it just went still... what should i expect to happen at colder temperatures?

Thanks!

Hibernation!! Some ale yeasts can withstand colder temps but most will hibernate or go very sloooowwwww.. If in your undies how fast for how long would you thrive in that type of environment.. :)

You need to warm that bad boy up! What type of yeast did you use? Some have a tolerance for lower temps. I've got an ale fermenting in the fridge using notty and it is at 59-60 right now fermenting away. I have the controller set for 62. It is on my back porch and it is 45F out as I type.
It looks like I might have to insulate the fridge more for winter brewing. At least for ales.

Thanks for the advice! I have it in my house at 70 degrees is that to warm?

I like to keep all my ales right around 68-71 and they turn out great every time. 70 should be perfect.

Depends no what yeast you are using. I have a scottish ale yeast going at 48 right now. I've done a Kolsch at 58, Safale05 at 58 (Not doing that again, too much peach and cloves). Mid-Upper 60s is the sweet spot for most yeasts, remember fermentation can add several degrees to the wort over the ambient air.

Thanks for the advice! I have it in my house at 70 degrees is that to warm?

If your house is at 70 (not the beer), that's probably a bit on the warm side. If you have a stick-on thermometer on the fermenter, and it's the beer that is 70 degrees, it'll probably be good. My preference for most ale strains is the mid 60s.

Back