Is 2 chest freezers better than one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funke910

Reaction score
So, I've been saving my money for a chest freezer to control my fermentation temperatures. I decided to go with a 14 cubic foot model that holds 4 carboys. The particular model that I've been looking at just went on sale. It's now the same price as getting 2 of the 7 foot models that hold 2 carboys. I do realize that with by getting 2 of the 7 foot models i would have to get another temperature controller, but i don't have to do that immediately. It takes up more space with the 2, but I like the idea of being able to ferment stuff at different temperatures at the same time. It would be cool to do a lager and an ale at the same time. Thoughts or opinions? Thanks!

For the same money, I would definitely do two. You can cold crash an ale while you lager a lager, for example. Go for the 2! My two cents!

I have an upright beer fridge I keep at 40, and a chest freezer for fermentation / cold crashing / lagering / warming at the end of fermentation. Works awesome, can ferment 10G in 2 6.5G carboys.

Wished it was a little bigger so I could fit 2 Speidels in it.

Go for 2.
I have one giant chest freezer, 15.5 Cu Feet I think but not really sure. I can fit 3 7G buckets, 3 5G buckets, and 3 1G jugs. Yes that's a total of 30 gallons.

However I have to very careful plan my brews around the fermentation temp. It's completely full atm, and I did all my s05 Brews back to back and let them go for a few days at 64 then bottled one and did all my nottingham brews back to back and set the temp to 68. Now I have to wait for the stout to finish before I can coldcrash them all.

+1 for 2. I have a 4.5cf keezer that I was Thrilled to get and covert. It was my keezer and my fermentation chamber for a while. I'd suffer serving temps v. fermentaions temps. Now I have a dedicated ferm chamber. And like PP now I wish I had 3.

I would get 2 upright Frost free freezers that would hold 2 carbons each. They are easier to load and monitor in than cheat freezers. I have a small chest freezer and put a carboy in it is a chore.
I have been looking for used Frost free freezers on Craigslist and have seen them but haven't purchased yet. The Frost frees have removable shelves.

I would get 2 upright Frost free freezers that would hold 2 carbons each. They are easier to load and monitor in than cheat freezers. I have a small chest freezer and put a carboy in it is a chore.
I have been looking for used Frost free freezers on Craigslist and have seen them but haven't purchased yet. The Frost frees have removable shelves.
Given his budget restrictions, frost free is probably out of the question. As a retired appliance repairman I gave up trying to get one on Craig's Liars List. People trying to get you to pay them to haul their junk away.

Latest posts

Back