is 1.0 oz hops enough??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphopaim5

Reaction score
I am a true hop head. i am currently brewing an light ale. I am using a mutons light 3.3lbs can and 2 pounds of light dme. I am using 1oz. of citra hop pellets 14.1 % aa . .75oz at the beginning of the boil .25 oz 15minutes prior boil end. Will this be sufficient? I hope so because i just started the boil. lol wish me luck.

I am assuming this is a 5 gallon batch? If so, 1oz of hops seems to be too little. Most recipes I've done have been at least three ounces of hops.

Is this like a blonde that you are after?
I'd think it'll be a bit bitter with very little hop flavor.
Check out hopville.com to see their calculator.
How many IBU's are you after?

I generally use 1 oz of hops in my very lightly hopped ales such as a blonde or wheat. But these ride around the 15 IBU range.

Are you boiling all of your extract?
What I got when I ran the numbers through was:
3* SRM (darker if you boiled all the extract), estimated 4.3% ABV (depending on yeast), and 52.2 IBU's.
This is something like an extra light IPA...

it is a 5 gallon batch i was going for a blonde ale. very light and easy to drink i am a hop head. I am trying something new for the mrs. should i add the whole 1ozat the beginning or should do 50/50 at for 60 mins and at 15 minutes?

How many IBU's are you wanting?
A blonde generally stays in the lower IBU range...

i am trying to keep it suttle somewhere around 25-40ibu. would a longer boil maybe 90 minutes help?

i am trying to keep it suttle somewhere around 25-40ibu. would a longer boil maybe 90 minutes help?

That's not "subtle" for a blonde ale. A blonde ale would normally have 15-25 IBUs. If you want something that isn't bitter (and so drinkable for your wife), I'd definitely go on the low end of that. 15-18 IBUs, so about .35 ounces of hops at 60 minutes (but check with some software), with about .25 ounce of hops added in the last 5-10 minutes. That's it.

No.
I rearranged your hops additions to .3 oz at 45 mins and 15 mins, and gave a .4 oz at 5 mins and came up with about 30 IBU's. A blonde shouldn't go over 28, but who's counting?

Your IBU's will be determined also by the amount of extract you boil, and the amount of water you are boiling.
Are you using top off water or a full boil (~5.6 gals)?
Boiling all of your extract? The more extract the less IBU's, but it'll also darker the beer a little. Not a big deal as you aren't using any additional grains. Right?

The longer you boil your hops the more IBU's you get (slightly, and to a point).

Also I have some Valencia oranges and raspberry lying around the house i was wondering if there was a good way to incorporate this in to the wort or secondary? is this a good idea or should i stick with fruit extracts instead? Thanks guys for all your help!!

Honey is something often added to lighter beers. Generally added when you turn the burner off when you are done.
I'm waiting to get over being sick so that I can try my latest honey beer (blonde) in which I used 1.5 lb of honey malt and 1 lb of honey in. Hoping for a strong honey flavor.

Check out hopville.com. It's a free online brew calculator. It'll give you a fair idea as to what you'll get when you decide to try something.

Using a high Alpha Acid hop, such as Citra, is hard to work with if you are trying for milder IBU's.

Oh, sorry, extracts are used a lot as well.
I think there can be problems with using actual fruit. I'm not certain.

Big difference. Hope you haven't started yet...
You could use .4 oz at 60 mins, and .3 oz at 15/5 mins for almost 28 IBU's.
You'll need ~2.25 gals to top off for 5 gal yield.

With that yeast it says you ought to end up with a 3.9% beer. That's quite light.

Do you have honey?
If so you could add 1 lb at flame out, which would boost it to 4.5% ABV. Doubt you'll notice much of a honey taste, but some seem to.

1.5 lbs of honey would bring it up to 4.8%.
Not sure what kind of alcohol content you are looking for.

What about adding the whole oz of Citra at 15 min? That will give you more hops flavor with about 24 IBU's.

I've never tried anything like that, but it does bring about a bit of curiosity.
I do have some small buckets that'll handle ~1.9 gals for testing. Hmmm....
Have you done this before?

Is that 2.5 oz by weight or volume?
What kind of alcohol content are you after?
What made you choose 04 for your yeast?

Another thing you could do is reduce your end volume to something like 4.5 gals...

Dropping your end volume to 4.5 gals, adding 2 oz (weight) of honey, and 4 oz (weight) of light brown sugar will give you ~4.7% ABV. You'd top off with ~1.75 gals of water. Your IBU's would be a little high at 30.5, and your FG (Final Gravity) will be slightly high (.002 points), but who cares?

i wanted to achieve something that was light on the pallet. I was looking something simular to a summer ale. i wanted it be a easy drinking beer for my wife and her friends thats why i was aiming at 3.5%. do you think 4.2 % would be a little strong for them. I mean for me it would be great however i am doing this for my wife and her friends.

The yeast you chose has a lower attenuation, which means it leaves some additional sugars unconverted to alcohol. You lost about 0.03% alcohol by using that one over an average higher attenuating yeast.

Bud Light is around 4.5%. I'm not sure what the lower calorie light beers are.
I'd guess 4.3-4.8% ought to be OK.

I'm going to be trying a recipe I came up with that should make an ale version of something like Bud Light for SWMBO's friends. It's targeted for 4.5% ABV with 10.6 IBU's.

I gave them a blonde and an amber, and it took forever for them to finish them. But they were also fuller in taste as I used crystal malts, and had higher alcohol contents of over 5%.

They each split a bottle of beer, and it took them forever! We are talking about 5 oz of beer each (x2)! I figured it was more than their pallet was accustomed to.

Me either.
I'll be pinching off some (0.175 oz) of Willamette to make that light ale (1.9 gal batch) and using it all in a 50 min boil. No flavoring or aroma addition. It's a test batch.

Rodwha, just a heads up but you should be using the "Edit" post feature rather than creating a new post for every thought you want to add on. On the fourth page of this thread alone you've posted at:

6:32
6:34
6:37
6:38
6:40

Rev.

i wanted to achieve something that was light on the pallet. I was looking something simular to a summer ale. i wanted it be a easy drinking beer for my wife and her friends thats why i was aiming at 3.5%. do you think 4.2 % would be a little strong for them. I mean for me it would be great however i am doing this for my wife and her friends.

You're getting way off track for your light blonde ale.

A good light blonde ale will have low IBUs (about 15-20 or so), and little hops flavor and aroma.

I like the idea of a nice light 3.5% blonde ale. I'd shoot for an OG of 1.040, 15-20 IBUs (probably .3 ounce of hops at 60 minutes, but check with some brewing calculator to make sure), and .25 ounce of hops added with 5-10 minutes left. That's it.

Back