Iron Pipe Brew Rig?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CereousBrewer

Reaction score
I've searched the forum and other places, but haven't been able to find much, if any, information. I want to assemble a brew rig but would like to have the option of partial or complete disassembly for ease of transportation. I spend part of the year in another location and want to be able to brew in both locations without having two rigs.

My question is, Is there a major downside in constructing a brew rig from iron pipe? I have access to the pipe/fittings at a reasonable price and will have no problem cutting/threading the pipe. To my thinking, it would allow me to either partially or completely disassemble the rig if I want to transport it, or store it for that matter.

Any suggestions appreciated...Thanks.

Yes, major corrosion. Definitely, do NOT build a brew rig from iron pipe. Copper, plastic or stainless are the only real options.

I'm sure it would work but it's hard to make a closed rectangle. You would have to use at least one union fitting per rectangle. Another alternative, though I can't comment on the strength, is conduit or fence poles with canopy fittings. I think the best alternative is unistrut.

Yes, major corrosion. Definitely, do NOT build a brew rig from iron pipe. Copper, plastic or stainless are the only real options.

I must disagree with this. Carbon steel is used quite often for these rigs. Mine is made of wood. You might consider building a modular set up for ease of moving. A brewery doesn't necessarily have to be a single, unified structure. You can paint steel to protect against corrosion. A little rust never hurt anyone. It's only iron oxide, not depleted uranium or something and it will usually be limited to the burner area where there is high heat exposure. Keeping it out of the elements or covering it will help a lot. Carbon steel is manly stuff; obviously not for everyone. You can build some cool stuff using steel pipe and floor flanges for vertical legs. Being threaded, you can remove them if desired.

I'm sure it would work but it's hard to make a closed rectangle. You would have to use at least one union fitting per rectangle. Another alternative, though I can't comment on the strength, is conduit or fence poles with canopy fittings. I think the best alternative is unistrut.

Pipe can be cut and welded if need be. It can also be bolted together or a combination of threaded fittings, welded or bolted connections could be used. I'm surprised that pipe is not used more often for these rigs.

Be careful not to do any welding on galvanized pipe. The fumes will make you super sick.

Be careful not to do any welding on galvanized pipe. The fumes will make you super sick.

/dead.

yeah, be careful of zinc poisoning. I knew someone on a blade-smithing forum that died of it.

I must disagree with this. Carbon steel is used quite often for these rigs. Mine is made of wood. You might consider building a modular set up for ease of moving. A brewery doesn't necessarily have to be a single, unified structure. You can paint steel to protect against corrosion. A little rust never hurt anyone. It's only iron oxide, not depleted uranium or something and it will usually be limited to the burner area where there is high heat exposure. Keeping it out of the elements or covering it will help a lot. Carbon steel is manly stuff; obviously not for everyone. You can build some cool stuff using steel pipe and floor flanges for vertical legs. Being threaded, you can remove them if desired.

Ooops, my bad. I thought the OP was talking about piping for water/wort transfers with iron pipe. That's what I get for posting before coffee (PBC?). :eek:

Thanks for your replies, especially Bobby M and Catt22. Unions are going to be too "clunky" IMO which leave me with the next best thing of cutting one pipe and welding it after assembly. As I have it figured, that would leave me with a top and bottom assembly, plus the legs and floor flanges.

Unistrut would be great, and I missed a bunch of stainless 1 5/8" used stff a week ago on Craigslist. New stuff is too pricey for me.

Thanks again everyone....

Did you look at the thread on Countertop Brutus 20? Amazing setup for 3.5 gal batches. Easily transportable to different locations. You might be able to make full 5gal with a few changes.

Latest posts

Back