Irish stout help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
I put this post in recipes/ingredients several weeks ago and I only got 1 response, so I'll throw it here too in hopes of some suggestions...

I have a NB Irish Dry stout all grain kit sitting in the basement. Thought about adding another couple pounds of Maris Otter and maybe .5 pounds of flaked oats for a little additional creaminess. Just looking to up the body and ABV a tad. Might tweak with some additional flavoring in secondary if I hear a yummy suggestion. Thanks. I plan on using 1084 for the batch.

I was kicking around a stout or robust porter idea and ran across a "new" twist on oats my LBHS has started to sell. It's a bit more expensive, but it got my attention.
Simpson's Golden Naked oats. I might try some.
It's advertised as a 10L malted oat with zero diastatic power. Your kit is a Guinness clone, but the extra Maris Otter grain will definitely give it a boost.

It's only at 1.020 after 8 days fermenting around 63. I gave a swirl and am hoping it drops to at least 1.015. Mashed around 153. Used 1084 with a starter and aerated well prior to pitching into 70 degree wort.

Back