Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pryornfld

Reaction score
Hey Fellow Brewers...
I'm in the process of starting an Irish Red Ale and was looking for suggestions for best brand to brew for a first time brewer. Right now I'm strictly using malt extracts until I get more familiar with my equipment, then hopefully transition to dry ingredients. Anyway if someone could recommend a good First time Irish Red kit using malt extracts it would be greatly appreciated. I've made one batch of Mangrove Jacks Lager which turned out pretty good for first time, and I have a Hard Apple Cider (Also Mangrove) ready for bottling this weekend. After this I would like to try an Irish Red. Looking for suggestion on kits, any tips or issues that I might encounter.

Cheers.. and never leave a glass dry!!

Anyway if someone could recommend a good First time Irish Red kit using malt extracts it would be greatly appreciated.This
This isn't a kit, but it's an extract recipe I have done quite often:

IRA.png

I don't know how to link threads, but you can find this posted a couple of times in the "I brewed a favorite recipe today" thread on the Extract Brewing forum.

Last edited:
This isn't a kit, but it's an extract recipe I have done quite often:

View attachment 772988

I don't know how to link threads, but you can find this posted a couple of times in the "I brewed a favorite recipe today" thread on the Extract Brewing forum.
I'll have to give this a try once I'm more comfortable with brewing. I love Irish reds so this will definitely be a go to recipe. Thanks!!

I have brewed this kit many times in both the extract and all grain versions and it is awesome. I use Nottingham yeast.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/irish-red-ale-extract-beer-brewing-kit-5-gallons.htmlIt looks like this…
View attachment 772984
Many that looks deadly!! Love the red!! Just looked at this kit and have a few questions as it lists various additional options. Not sure which to choose. For a beginner I'm assuming LME is easier to use than DME? They recommend 5 different yeasts and 4 different Yeast Nutrients. Not sure which one to choose? Also do I need a grain and hop steeping bag for this kit? Sorry for all of the questions but Hey I'm new!! Rather buy the ingredients they have recommended as it was designed for this kit, but eventually I will start to expand out!

Many that looks deadly!! Love the red!! Just looked at this kit and have a few questions as it lists various additional options. Not sure which to choose. For a beginner I'm assuming LME is easier to use than DME? They recommend 5 different yeasts and 4 different Yeast Nutrients. Not sure which one to choose? Also do I need a grain and hop steeping bag for this kit? Sorry for all of the questions but Hey I'm new!! Rather buy the ingredients they have recommended as it was designed for this kit, but eventually I will start to expand out!
Without knowing what equipment you already have, I’ll just give a few basic suggestions. Use either 1 packet of dry Nottingham or the suggested S-04 yeast, either one will make a good red. The Nottingham might be a little faster and “cleaner”. No canned wort is needed, that’s just a quick way to make a starter with liquid yeast. If you don’t already have one, the 8X15 grain steeping bag will work well for both the steeping grains as well as the hops in the boil. I don’t know that LME is really easier to use than DME, but DME is thought to be more consistent and stable as far as shelf life and quality are concerned. Don’t need to mess with yeast nutrients at this stage either.

Without knowing what equipment you already have, I’ll just give a few basic suggestions. Use either 1 packet of dry Nottingham or the suggested S-04 yeast, either one will make a good red. The Nottingham might be a little faster and “cleaner”. No canned wort is needed, that’s just a quick way to make a starter with liquid yeast. If you don’t already have one, the 8X15 grain steeping bag will work well for both the steeping grains as well as the hops in the boil. I don’t know that LME is really easier to use than DME, but DME is thought to be more consistent and stable as far as shelf life and quality are concerned. Don’t need to mess with yeast nutrients at this stage either.
So if I use DME there is no need for yeast nutrients but I will if I use LME? Or yeast nutrients not really needed regardless of which way I go?

Malt extract contains all the nutrients that the yeast need whether they are liquid or dry.

Nottingham yeast is a fast yeast that can be really clean of esters if the fermenting beer is kept in the upper 50's to low 60's and has higher attenuation than SO4 which will also have more esters. SO4 would be more appropriate in an English mile than an Irish red.

So if I use DME there is no need for yeast nutrients but I will if I use LME? Or yeast nutrients not really needed regardless of which way I go?
The yeast nutrient is used when you’re making a starter for liquid yeast. It is unnecessary for this kit if you use dry yeast regardless of which extract you chose.

Last edited:
I used to brew the True Brew brand of extract kits, always loved them and brewed their Irish Red quite a few times, before the all grain rabbit hole.

So All.. went with Mangrove Jack Irish Red. It comes with a Malt Extract and hops. Also used Liquid Malt instead of Corn sugar. So put in primary on Monday. Will let you know how it turns out when done . Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I will be trying thosec as well.
Cheers...and never leave your glass dry!!

Back