irish red recipe. will it work ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spottedbass

Reaction score
ok guys heres my recipe for an irish red, tell me what u think. i put this together after looking at several different ones
7.00 lb light dme
1.0 lbcrystal 120 steeped
.50 lb aromatic malt steeped
.25 caramunich malt steeped
.50 lbs carapils steeped
liberty 1 oz @ 60m min. pellets
cascade 1/2 oz @ 45 min. pellets
cascade 1/2 oz @ 5 min. pellets

anything u guys would change, add, any input please.
also this will be a 2 1/2 gal. boil

Not sure what you'll get out of a 45 minute hop addition- not much flavor, to be sure. Either use a little more bittering, or add more cascades later, at 15 minutes (just a suggestion, not to be taken as anything more). I can't be of much help otherwise. What yeast do you plan to use?

I suggest using 1 lbs C-80 and 2.5 oz Black Patent for the red coloring for steeping, but that is my opinion the hop schedule looks good though Ive never seen an Irish red with those hops....

I threw it into Beer Smith with the results below. Bitterness is low, color and OG are at the upper end of the style. FWIW, the Beer Smith's color estimate is more in brown than red, but it's your beer. :)

Rick

Type: Extract
Date: 2/1/2008
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: spottedbass
Boil Size: 2.50 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Three Gallon Extract Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 75.68 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
4.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 %
1.00 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (60 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (45 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 0.9 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.58 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.61 %
Bitterness: 11.6 IBU Calories: 260 cal/pint
Est Color: 17.8 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: None Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
Sparge Water: - Grain Temperature: -
Sparge Temperature: - TunTemperature: -
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: -

Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Mash Notes: -
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 4.2 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

RICLARK said:
I suggest using 1 lbs C-80 and 2.5 oz Black Patent for the red coloring for steeping, but that is my opinion the hop schedule looks good though Ive never seen an Irish red with those hops....

These are sound suggestions as you only get the red color from MUCH darker malts than 120L. I use roasted barley in my reds and use a lower lov caramel for sweetness.

Also, you might want to use a 60 min hop addition only as you don't want a bunch of hop flavor in an Irish Red. You can make it an American Red and leave the hops as is.

I can also recomend using WYeast #1084 Irish Ale. Works great! (#1056 if you go with the American Red)

:mug:

Here is the Irish Red Ale I made......

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 78.34 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 8.39 %
0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 5.60 %
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 5.60 %
0.13 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.40 %
0.06 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 0.67 %
1.00 oz Magnum [13.10 %] (60 min) Hops 22.0 IBU
2.00 oz Williamette [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU

the yeast i plan on ie either..nottingham or 05, now thats the only hops i can come up with, its as close as i could come, and i ask for yoiur input and thats what i wanted. i have never brewed this before...but i love irish reds

where are you getting the red color from? you'll get slight red hue from the caramunich, but that's about it and i don't think it'll do it.

also, the cascade and liberty is not really to style for an irish red, although you might do fine with that for an american red/amber ale.

i'd also do away with the aromatic.

just some thoughts. still looks like a good recipe.

:mug:

this recipe was made after looking at several....u dont think the color is right? what do i need to do to fix it? if hops r wrong what do u suggest? i dont have fuggles or willimate...that was the subs. like i said i have never brewed this before. thanks for all the help im getting. i no u guys can help me fix this.

most reds have a small amount (0.25 lb or so) of roasted barley for color. other malts that will add some red are munich, caramunich, carared, crystal 60-120 and possibly more. search "malt chart" in google and you should find some sites with good descriptions.

most recipes i've seen have some crystal 120 and roasted barley. i made one recently with munich, caramunich and chocolate. not sure how it's going to do for color, but it looks like it already has a red hue and it tastes great. i used fuggle and east kent golding for hops.

i personally would go with more noble hops for a red. what do you have available? East kent golding, fuggle...actually the liberty will work, i'd just stay away from the cascade.

spottedbass said:
ok guys heres my recipe for an irish red, tell me what u think. i put this together after looking at several different ones
7.00 lb light dme
1.0 lbcrystal 120 steeped
.50 lb aromatic malt steeped
.25 caramunich malt steeped
.50 lbs carapils steeped
liberty 1 oz @ 60m min. pellets
cascade 1/2 oz @ 45 min. pellets
cascade 1/2 oz @ 5 min. pellets

anything u guys would change, add, any input please.
also this will be a 2 1/2 gal. boil

What the other guys said. ;)

Seriously, 1 full pound of 120L Crystal is going to overwhelm this beer, jump up and down on it. With Irish Reds, the rule is Keep It Simple. You want the balance to be on the malty/sweet side, with little hops flavour or aroma. The color should be red, not brown. Black patent can get a reddish colour, but in my experience a touch of roasted barley is the best method.

I'd also ditch the carapils. You only get about 10% of what you want from carapils in a steep anyhow. The aromatic is, IMO, a nice touch, so I'd keep it and the munich for flavour. Add in ~2 oz of roasted barley for color, and you're there.

As for hops, it's up to you what to do for flavour and aroma hopping. Strictly speaking, the style doesn't have any. But if you like it, go for it. I would, however, save the Cascades for an APA or some other American style. If you must late-hop, use more Liberty - after all, Liberty is little more than American Saaz.

Cheers,

Bob

thanks for the help guys....i knew u would help me figure this out, stuff is on order.....recipe reworked.. i know it will be great. thanks again for all your help

Back