Irish Red in to the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donshizzles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I brewed up an Irish Red the other day and it’s my first batch not bottling but going in to the keg. My question is...after primary and secondary fermentation is complete, and I rack to the keg, do I put it on CO2 right away or do I let it sit in the keg for a few weeks, then put it on CO2?

Charge it and chill it when you keg it. The CO2 does no harm to the beer and does not inhibit aging and mellowing. It also assures the keg seals well. Any settling that happens in the next few days or week will be removed with the first pull or two. Bonus... When you decide to try it in a week, it will be carbonated, cold, yummy and ready. Want to enjoy it even faster? Google up "force carbonation methods". You can overcharge and wait, or do the charge and shake for 15 minutes. There's a few ways of fast carbonating.

It needs to go right onto CO2 and you will need to purge the keg of oxygen too.

What I do is after I rack to the keg I seal the keg with 30psi and burp the vent a few times then shake it for a minute or 2 then either it just sits in my garage or goes into the kegerator not hooked up for a few days before tapping.

Back