Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokamantratarius

Reaction score
Ok so I am almost done brewing my 2nd batch. I am making an IPA this time and I was looking over the recipe sheet and is says to use 1-4tsp of Irish moss. I have no idea what irish moss is and the the lady at the home brew shop didn't mention anything about it when she was helping me get all my ingrediants.

Will not adding irish moss to my brew screw it up? :confused:

yeah what homebrewer_99 said :D. I'll take it a step further. I rarely use the stuff anymore. What it really does is expedite the clarification process. Given enough time, most brews that are done correctly will clarify. In fact I have an APA that was clearer than some microbrews I have in the fridge by the time it hit 6 weeks or so and it didn't have any Irish Moss. It certainly shouldn't hurt anything (not that I can think of unless you want a cloudy beer style, like many wheats) using it in the brew but excluding it won't hurt anything either.

I forget the Irish moss about 50% of the time. I like to use it, I just forget to get it out. It doesn't affect the taste at all, like the others said.

Its super easy to forget and I think makes a difference in the final brew. I just assemble all of my ingredients prior to brewing... then its sitting on the counter staring me in the face.

Ive got a small bottle of the brown flakey stuff which I use, and I pack the white tablets away for future use

zoebisch01 said:
In fact I have an APA that was clearer than some microbrews I have in the fridge by the time it hit 6 weeks or so and it didn't have any Irish Moss.

6 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, I am lucky if my brew lasts 3 weeks :drunk:

I used Irish Moss all of the time and have notice a huge difference. I just switched to Whifloc, mainly because it is easier (no measuring). After a couple pours from my keg , the beer is crystal clear.

I always used 1tps for 5 gals in the last 15 minutes of the boil. Now I use 1 whirfloc tablet in the last 15 minutes of the boil.

Charlie P says that the roasted or black malts actually perform the same function so the pros even add a small amount to the mash in their lightest of beers. Just sayin... I haven't tested this.

I remember to toss the moss in the sauce maybe half the time. When I do, though, I re-hydrate it in a very small amount of water first. For whatever reason, it seems to be more effective when you do this. Don't ask me why - something I picked up from someone else on the board that seems to improve the effectiveness.

Just don't smell it; think "unclean fishtank".... :(

At my club meeting last week we were discussing the use of fining agents like Irish Moss. The directions say to add it for at least 45 minutes of boil time, but most recipes say for 15. There was some discussion as to which is the better. It was decided after reading some literature on it, that 15 minutes was best because at the longer time it's effect for clearing is greatly diminished or completely gone. I'm brewing this weekend and will try the 15 minute time and see if my beer comes up clearer. So far with my 45 minute + times, I haven't noticed any ill effects taste-wise, but then again, I haven't brewed any thing without it. We'll see I guess.

I use Irish Moss at the rate of 1\4 teaspoon per 5 gallons. Lately, I have switched to Whirfloc tabs and I do beleive they are more effective. I drop them in for the last 5 minutes.

This should be a FAQ..."I forgot the moss, is my beer ruined?"

I forgot the moss in my last batch. I didnt remember untill over a week later.
No big deal.

I use whirlfloc tabs, cheasy easy, throw one in for 15 min.

Id use them for a stout/porter, why not? Just because its dark doesnt mean it cant be clear(not cloudy)

I re-hydrate my irish moss in lukewarm water for about 15 minutes, then put it in the boil when I add my 15 minute hop addition. I have forgotten to add it twice and I think it did make a difference, the brew was slightly less clear. However, after a month or so in the bottles, if I decant into my glass well, the brew is good and clear.

I use it in my hazelnut stout, about 1 tbsp for 5.5 gallons. I know its clear, but its so dark you can't really tell.

The main thing I have noticed with it is there is less sediment in my bottles. Almost none in my stout.

I use Irish moss at a rate of 1 tsp per 5 gallons, but lately I've switched to Whirlfloc tablets (1 per 5 gallons). The tablets seem to work better, I think.

I add moss/Whirlfloc to all of my brews except wheats/wits. The porter I brewed recently was very dark, but it was obviously quite clear (you could really see it when there was little beer left in the glass) - probably a combination of the dark malts, flocculant yeast, and Whirlfloc.

I prefer a clear beer - it just feels good to make something that looks clean and crisp. However, the flavor of your beer will not be harmed or changed if you eliminate the moss.

OP - Irish Moss is a seaweed that will bind proteins and clarify the brew. Not necessary nor will it change the taste of the batch.

if you want to clarify post-boil, there are things called finings (gelatin, polyclear, Isinglass) which will do it in the clearing tank.

By the way, if you read the fine print on the package, it will recommend putting the IM in at the beginning of the boil and using only 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons.

Back