Irish moss necessary if recipe calls for it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waidan

Reaction score
Hi all, first post in been reading for a while.

I've done a search and could not find an answer for this.

I've done 4 extract kits and I've just bought my first set of ingredients for a nut brown extract recipe. Of course I forgot to pick up Irish moss which was listed.

From what I gather it's just a clearing agent for the final product. If that's the case should I need it if I'm not to concerned about the clarity of the final product?

Thanks

You can just bottle it, let it carbonate itself, and put it in the fridge for a while. Or cold crash it in the primary prior to packaging. As for my personal opinion...

addtext_com_MTYwMzI2MjQ4NjQ2.jpg

This is going in a keg and won't be taping it until at least March. So I guess I have time for it

IMO this is a $5 purchase that will last for 50+ batches so I think it's worth it. But if you don't have any on hand you'll be fine without, definitely not worth a special trip to the HBS.

I have always used Irish Moss however on my most recent brew I used a Whirlfloc tablet.

I've occasionally forgotten to use the Irish Moss in my beers.
I don't ususally see much difference in the clarity - I do let it sit a week or so longer for everything to settle out.

Yes, but it's more convenient. You don't have to measure it out or hydrate prior to use. Not that Irish Moss is difficult to use, it's just one less thing to worry about.

Not really. Yeast is alive. Something you want to wake up gently and give strenght to. Irish moss is a dead, dried plant.

I usually use Irish Moss when I remember, and it's always a pinch straight out of the bag into the BK.

You don't need it. I've never used it. I always use time and temperature (cold crashing) to clarify my beers. I always put all the kettle trub in my fermenter too. I'm such a heathen ;)
Your beer will be fine without it. Maybe it will be better with it and I'm missing out on something.

The hardest part of brewing is being patient. Irish moss is just another small step to aid in making clearer beer. Helpful, but not absolutely necessary. And because it's so cheap and you never really need a big quantity per batch, why not if youv'e got it?!

I personally bought a small quantity for 3$. Added to my last 12 brews and I used about half of it.

There was a recent (I think?) Brulosophy exbeeriment that suggested very strongly that Irish Moss/Whirfloc really don't make any significant difference to a beer. Use it if you like, don't stress if you can't or don't use it.

It's purely aesthetic. Some types (like hefeweizens) are actually preferable without it.

Back