Irish moss and wheat beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tippsy-Turvy

Reaction score
I was so keen to try out irish moss for the first time that i didn't think about the potential ramifications of using it on a wheat beer and just did it.

Will the irish moss clear the wheat beer and if so will that affect the flavor??

I don't think so. As I understand it, Irish Moss simply encourages the coagulation of proteins in the wort. That is, it makes little bits of trub clump together, which makes them a) easier to filter out, and b) fall out of suspension faster.

Yeast should be unaffected by Irish Moss.

Gelatin, on the other hand, is a different story. It'll cling to the yeast cells and pull them down.

I don't think so. As I understand it, Irish Moss simply encourages the coagulation of proteins in the wort. That is, it makes little bits of trub clump together, which makes them a) easier to filter out, and b) fall out of suspension faster.

Yeast should be unaffected by Irish Moss.

Gelatin, on the other hand, is a different story. It'll cling to the yeast cells and pull them down.

and wheat has more proteins than barley, so yes... it might clear the wheat beer.

alter the flavor? I'm not sure.

Let me elaborate on my last post...

My wheats that are supposed to be cloudy, are.

Grognerd is correct that it will help clear wheat. However, the bulk of cloudiness in a wheat beer should be coming from the yeast, and that it won't clear. If you want a cloudy wheat (Hefeweizen), use a low-floc yeast. If you want a clear wheat (Krystalweizen), use a high-floc yeast.

Just made a clone of a local wheat beer from where I went to college. I added the Irish Moss and it seems to pull proteins to the bottom and clear if out a bit but I don't see how it would affect fermentation or taste. In fact I like wheat beers that I can see through. Gumballhead, Oberon, the like.

Edit: sorry for the poor pic quality. That's the price to pay for having multiple homebrews over the course of a brew day.

image-4094953750.jpg

steelbier said:
Just made a clone of a local wheat beer from where I went to college. I added the Irish Moss and it seems to pull proteins to the bottom and clear if out a bit but I don't see how it would affect fermentation or taste. In fact I like wheat beers that I can see through. Gumballhead, Oberon, the like.

Edit: sorry for the poor pic quality. That's the price to pay for having multiple homebrews over the course of a brew day.

I applaud you for the fresh garlic.

Latest posts

Back