Irish mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinJack

Reaction score
the world over there are no more proclaimed skilled meade makers then the Irish. Many of the recipes are kept absolutly secrate... I am looking for a real irish recipe for meade. From my research it is a mild meade, containing Alfalfa honey or other brands of wild flower honey but nothing as special as Tuballow or Sumac. Also it seems genrally expected that they contain fresh ginger or use fresh crushed wild black berrys to boost abv, fermented with a stong ale yeast... I dont know any of the exact recipes, but i will keep researching and i hoped for some of you guys aid. Thanks.

Cheers

Update:

Found a triditional old time welsh recipe for meade which might be a bit tough to duplicate

*4 gal water

*4kg honey (mixed clover and wild flower) (roughly 9lbs)

to this point the recipe seems completely understandable until here

*17 ounces of raisens... (this seems like alot)

* A pound or so of dried oak leaves (this is understandable and i assum oak leave tea would sufice in approite quanity)

* a single large ginger root, bruised (i assume its bruised to allow better movement of the ginger flavor, and that a simple ginger tea would work well for this in the approite quanity)

* strong ale froth, or wine froth (the poster of this recipe adds here that one can use yeast here instead of useing ale or wine krusen... then sugest the use of champagne yeast... which is understandable)

... heres where its funny... the recipe given sugest the use of yeast neutirents, and the author claims it part of the original recipe... as far as i know bottled yeast neutriants are a rather recent invention and the older brew recipes added herbs and plants to the must in order to boost nutrients...(in this case that would be the oak leaves and rasins)

supposed to make a dry yet tasty mead which has hints of the oak leaves and depending on yeast can have a profile close to that of a very lighty hopped ale with a syrup like consistancy... or closer up to a rather dry wine like profile with a bitter woody finnish and a crips after taste, still syrupy, if an agressive wine yeast is used.... Anybody see any flaws in this???

A bearly described Scottish meade recipe

Take 10 gallons of water and 2 gallons of strained honey, with two or three ounces of bruised white Jamaica ginger root, and 2 lemons cut in slices(for authentic meade use rose hipps). Mix all together and boil for half an hour, carefully skimming all the time. Add 2 ounces of hops (hop lightly, to a consistancy prefered) five minutes after the boiling commences. When partially cool put in a cask to ferment. In about three weeks it will be ready to bottle.

A triditional Irish Meade recipe dated 1640, said to be passed down for centuries...suposedly

*Fresh clean water

*2-3 pounds honey per gallon water, type sugested was a mix of clover and wild flower at a ratio of 2 clover to 1 wildflower

*1 cup rose hips per 3 gallon of water, less if a less tart flavor is desired

* 1 pound dried then steeped Oak or Maple leaves, depending on desired profile Maple will be sweeter, oak will give a bitter hop like taste, per 3 gallon

* 1 bruised ginger root per 3 gallons of water

* 1 pinch salt (this is for state purpose of buffering, only 1 pinch no matter how much water)<----(I think this is a shame)

* 12 apple peels, or ale froth (or modern dry or wet ale yeast)

Bring to light boil, steep leaves, rose hips, and ginger. Let steep one hour. Remove solids from boil then reduce heat and slowly dissolve honey. After all honey is completely dissolved. After completely dissolved bring back to light boil for another 10 minutes. Then remove from burner and cool. After cool add in apple peels (or yeast) should start to ferment with in 3-5 days. Fermentation should last 5-8 weeks. After fermentation is complete store in oak or ash cask, for at least 3-6 months. After 3-6 months remove from cask and bottle. (this mead is still)<--------- (could you carb it with priming sugar after 6 months in an ageing cask???)

Profile should be ale like with a syrupy like consitancy, thicker then beer, mild (between dry and sweet), and final ABV 9-12%

The dried oak leaves sound really intriguing. It makes me think of fall--and how the leaves smell. It would be nice in a mead.

Thats what i thought of and it seems to be a common ingridant in most celtic trditional meade's as a bittering agent rather then hops...

Cheers

So i brewed my meade today, nothing as elaborate as those above... went for the irish style useing fresh ginger but differed buy just useing clover honey instead of a mix of the two and used an oak tea instead of oak leaves... the must smelled amazing... i wanted it to be done right then and there... but im waiting until next new years to open it, and i will ring in 2010 with it... perhaps another year will have passed and thing will have changed and i will remember what the situation was when i brewed it... maybe ill laugh... maybe ill look fondly back... who knows..

Cheers, and happy new year

So check this out. Here is a copy of a 17th century recipe book titled:

The
CLOSET
Of The Eminently Learned
Sir Kenelm Digby, kc.
opened:
Whereby is DISCOVERED
Several Ways For Making of
Metheglin, Sider, Cherry-Wine, &c.
Together With Excellent Directions for
COOKERY
as also for
Preserving, Conserving, Candying, &c.
Published by His Son's Consent
London. 1669.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16441/16441-h/16441-h.htm

Here is a mead recipe from it:

"To every quart of Honey, take four quarts of water. Put your water in a clean Kettle over the fire, and with a stick take the just measure, how high the water cometh, making a notch, where the superficies toucheth the stick. As soon as the water is warm, put in your Honey, and let it boil, skimming it always, till it be very clean; Then put to every Gallon of water, one pound of the best Blew-raisins of the Sun, first clean picked from the stalks, and clean washed. Let them remain in the boiling Liquor, till they be throughly swollen and soft; Then take them out, and put them into a Hair-bag, and strain all the juice and pulp and substance from them in an Apothecaries Press; which put back into your liquor, and let it boil, till it be consumed just to the notch you took at first, for the measure of your water alone. Then let your Liquor run through a Hair-strainer into an empty Woodden-fat, which must stand endwise, with the head of the upper-end out; and there let it remain till the next day, that the liquor be quite cold. Then Tun it up into a good Barrel, not filled quite full, but within three or four fingers breadth; (where Sack hath been, is the best) and let the bung remain open for six weeks with a double bolter-cloth lying upon it, to keep out any foulness from falling in. Then stop it up close, and drink not of it till after nine months.

This Meathe is singularly good for a Consumption, Stone, Gravel, Weak-sight, and many more things. A Chief Burgomaster of Antwerpe, used for many years to drink no other drink but this; at Meals and all times, even for pledging of healths. And though He were an old man, he was of an extraordinary vigor every way, and had every year a Child, had always a great appetite, and good digestion; and yet was not fat."

BrewinJack said:
... heres where its funny... the recipe given sugest the use of yeast neutirents, and the author claims it part of the original recipe... as far as i know bottled yeast neutriants are a rather recent invention and the older brew recipes added herbs and plants to the must in order to boost nutrients...(in this case that would be the oak leaves and rasins)
They where probably suggesting dead yeast cells because they will cannibalize and that is basically nutrient.. I use raisins in mine all the time also and you know the yeast love them because they completely cover them and sometimes you can't tell what they are..

Latest posts

Back