IPL Water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsbrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve seen conflicting views on water profiles for IPL. Some say to keep it mineral light like most euro lagers, others go so far as to recommend close to a Burton profile.

Any new views on this? I’ll be making a Chinook SMaSH IPL.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't use Burton or the pale ale profile, they are too mineralized for a beer that doesn't have any esters to compliment. I would use one of the yellow or amber profiles in Bru'n Water to avoid overwhelming the lager yeast effects.

I just brewed my first IPL and went with a 150 sulfate to 50 chloride (3:1) ratio, vs. my typical 250-350 sulfate and 50-75 chloride. Wanted something a little more delicate for this one.

I wouldn't use Burton or the pale ale profile, they are too mineralized for a beer that doesn't have any esters to compliment. I would use one of the yellow or amber profiles in Bru'n Water to avoid overwhelming the lager yeast effects.

Thanks Martin. I was leaning towards yellow dry. But thought yellow balanced might also work.

Back