IPL Recipe - feedback appreciated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbafat

Reaction score
It's our first time lagering and we'd like to try an IPL. After doing some reading and thinking about what we'd like, we landed on this recipe. We'd like something hop-forward while retaining traditional lager flavors. We'd also like something on the sessionable side to enjoy after working in the yard - winter is here, but spring is coming.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 8.33 gal
Color: 4.6 SRM
Bitterness: 58.1 IBUs
Boil Time: 75 min
Est OG: 1.048 (12.0° P)
Est FG: 1.009 SG (2.4° P)
Fermentation: Lager, Single Stage
ABV: 5.1%

Mash
--------------------------
5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
4 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM)
8.00 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)

Boil
1.00 oz Sterling [7.5%] - Boil 30 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 15 min
1.00 oz Sterling [7.5%] - Boil 15 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.0%] - Boil 5 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.0%] - Whirlpool 0 min

Fermentation
German Lager (White Labs #WLP830) - 2L starter

Last edited:
The recipe looks OK, but Maris Otter looks out of place, so does Carapils. I am not convinced Carapils actually does anything, and so are others from what i read. All Pilsner/Bohemian Pilsner/Pale Ale malt would probably be better and much lighter in colour.

Is it an " India " Lager if you are not dry hopping and/or whirlpooling? 58 IBUs in a 5.1% ABV Pilsner could be too much.

The recipe looks OK, but Maris Otter looks out of place, so does Carapils. I am not convinced Carapils actually does anything, and so are others from what i read. All Pilsner/Bohemian Pilsner/Pale Ale malt would probably be better and much lighter in colour.

The MO was my last change before posting - I originally had 10lbs of pilsner. Well, I originally had 13lbs and was going for closer to 7% but we decided to bring it back a little and adjust keeping the carapils and munich ratios the same. My thinking with substituting some MO was to get more malty/bready flavors to balance against the higher IBUs - I've never used pilsner before so I was speculating not basing it on experience.

Is it an " India " Lager if you are not dry hopping and/or whirlpooling? 58 IBUs in a 5.1% ABV Pilsner could be too much.

I do whirlpool. I see the last hop addition was marked as steep but it should be whirlpool. I had considered 1 or 2 ounces of citra but I wanted to get into the fermentation and see how things tasted before deciding.

58 IBUs was based on representative samples from IPL's I've enjoyed - I could definitely move it back closer to 35-40 by moving the 30 minute addition closer to the end. That would lose some bitterness but keep the hop character.

Thank you - this has given me some more to think about.

Back