Ipb-16s replacement sensor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aress99

Reaction score
I just got a used Inkbird ipb-16s. Everything seems to work fine except I don’t have a sensor probe. I’ve tried a couple pt100 rtd probes from amazon that people in the Q&A’s say work for this controller. I have had zero luck though. And brewing forums give mixed information. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you. I did actually read that in an Amazon Q&A for an NTC sensor. However one Answer said it would not work and another said it worked fine for them for his ipb-16s. So I did order one and I will have it Friday.

I was not able to get my PT100 to work on my 16s. I've been looking for a waterproof threaded replacement for the standard sensor as an upgrade, but the selection seems sparse compared to all the PT100s out there. Good luck Aress.... Did you go with a replacement OEM sensor?

@Aress99 A link to that item would be great.

I just received my IPB-16s, and have a pt100 type-k thermocouple in my RIMS tube...and am not sure what type of connector to use (3mm mini connector or 3.5mm audio connector? Will it work?) or if I should buy a new 1/2"NPT probe of some sort with a proper connector on it already... I'll browse Amazon, but am not sure what will work. Any pointers would be helpful.

Last edited:
@bannonb, if my understanding is correct, the 16s is not compatible with pt100, only NTC.

Normally, the connector you would want is this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WRRGYMM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However I have not been able to get it to work with either of my pt100s. It really seems as if Inkbird removed pt100 support in the 16s (The previous model supported it). I'd love to be proven wrong, as the options for NTC are not nearly as common as for the pt100.

It turns out that Inkbird sent me specs and you can use that to get the proper temp sensor and plug.

You need: ∅3.5×6×26mm DC plug
Thermistor Probe resistance: R25°C=10KΩ±1% R0°C=26.74~27.83KΩ B25/85°C=3435K±1%

I was not sure about difference between thermocouple and thermistor technology...so might have tried to wire incompatible bits together.

So, searching for a 10K ohm thermistor, I found this one with 1/2" NPT threads which will work with my specific RIMS tube (and maybe yours).

https://www.ttiinc.com/content/ttii...MIs4iNl-Hy6gIVA9bACh2m9gcuEAYYASABEgIRhfD_BwE
I will order the connector you came up with because I can't find the smaller connector like comes with the Inkbird thermistor probe.

I'll update when I get it all together and let you know if it worked...

BannonB

Thanks BannonB. I'm still perplexed (and bummed) that the unit doesn't support pt100. It seems like there are so many inexpensive pt100 probes out there.

I've got a dealer on Ali that I asked to quote me on building a custom NTC probe. I'm hoping that turns out to be a cheaper option (~$12 shipped). I'll also update the thread if that turns out to be an alternative.

BannonB, I'm super interested in a report back on that thermistor probe from TTI, Inc, and how it compares to using the thermowell. My concern with using a thermowell in a RIMS setup is the potential delay in response causing me to over-shoot my mash temps.

I ordered a probe but haven’t received it. In the meantime I expect to use the one that came with the controller along with a 1/2” NPT thermowell. I haven’t brewed with it yet but testing shows good measurement with slightly slow response. Kind of waiting for the other probe and a Riptide pump before my next brew.

Back