IPAs - Hop Additions and Dry Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubiwan

Reaction score
What is consensus, or is there a concensus, regarding hop additions for any IPA recipe? Asking all this stuff out of naivety, so rather trying to understand recipe process, and come to terms with some pretty conclusive anecdotal evidence i have read.

For instance, read some recent Brulosphy taste tests on various Hop additions and processes for a range of IPA's and, it occurs to me, that much of the aroma, and flavour imparted by the typical IPA hops (citra, simcoe, centennial, cascade), are achieved by either quite late additions to the boil, or indeed, by a large dry hop. That boiling them over 50 minutes simply reduces them to a bittering additions, and any flavour aroma they would otherwise have, is boiled away.

One study claimed the difference between an IPA hop addition during the mash (60 or 30 minute) compared to those added at or post flame out, and dry hopping, would be akin to someone "talking at a rock concert". That the latter simply overpowers anything acheived in the boil. So, if your intent is purely the citrousy flavours and aromas the typical hops impart, do it late. Is this a good rule of thumb? Does using the hops during the boil have any value beyond bittering? Does it therefore matter what bittering hop I use in an IPA?

Is there a right and wrong way? Perhaps I shouds say.... a better way! If I bitter with a non typical IPA hop, will I even notice it in the bottle/keg, if I have added a myriad of late "C" type hops and similar dry hops?

Ah! Found this, which somewhat helps. Obviously not the first, nor last, to ask this question?

Just made an IPA, and used some Columbus to bitter for 60+ , then Cascade at 30+, then flamed out with Citra, Cascade and Simcoe 10 mins each. Round a 70 minute boil. Maybe I should split batch and dry hop only half.

Tasted decent into the fermenter. It always does though :)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/do-bittering-hops-even-matter.677567/#post-8838869

Back