IPA with these hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiGladys

Reaction score
Trying to figure out if a combination of these hops will work together. I know Amarillo and Simcoe are a good combination. I have the grain for a 1.070 og wort.
Available hops:
2 oz Summit 13%
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Simcoe
1 oz Centennial

Any thoughts on a hop schedule from all the experienced hopheads out there?

Anybody?

I am thinking of using the Summit for bittering, and 1/4 oz of each of the other three at 20 and 5. Keeping the last 1/2 ounce of each for dry hop. But I am afraid that 3/4 oz total hops at 20 and 5 is not enough for the taste and aroma that I want. I also don't know if a combo of all three is good, or if I should use one hop at 20, a different hop for 5, and a different one for dry hop.

What do you think? a bit of each hop for flavor, aroma and dry - or - a different hop for each?

You could do something like this:

0.75 oz Summit 60 min
0.75 oz Summit 20.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo + 1 oz Simcoe mixed - hop continuously from 15 to 0 (make sure there's some for 0)
1.00 oz Centennial Dry Hop

I've done a very similar IPA but with Magnum for bittering and Simcoe at the 20 min addition. Yummy but be prepared for grapefruit.
Edit - meant to add the extra half ounce of summit to the dry hop. I've not used it before but I heard it's nice in combo with other C's for this.

I'd agree with more simcoe. I actually checked the notes on this batch and I used simcoe at 20 plus 1oz simcoe with 1 oz centennial for the dry hop.

Thanks. Maybe I'll use all of the Simcoe, and hope to get to the LHBS in the next week or two to buy more for dry hopping.
Kinda just stuck with what I have for now.

Back