IPA with Ringwood Yeast???????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tresden

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried anything like this? I'm curious. May try unless there's any bad feedback.

There was a thread recenty where a member was looking for commercial IPAs made with Ringwood. Pretty sure its Magic Hat's house strain. From the commercial Ringwood IPA's I've had, I'd say go for it.

Yep it's great. I make all my continuously hopped IPA's (i.e. 60 Minute and 90 Minute clones) with 1187.

Even built a zopinator like device to do the work for me. Works great. Now if I can only get the hopstopper to work better. Ever since I switched to the Therminator, my hopstopper sucks donkeydick. Worked great with an IC/whirlpool but I digress...

photo-3-1.jpg

I made Yooper's DFH 60 min IPA with WLP005, which is supposed to be a Ringwood strain (although I seem to remember reading that WLP005 is not quite as true to the original as Wyeast 1187). Anyway - turned out great! Hard to tell if it was any different to Pacman really - I did a split 10 gallon batch. I did give it a good diacetyl rest.

I've sampled a couple of these just last night from Portland Maine. It is a great yeast for an ipa but it is worlds apart from what the west coast is doing. I like diacetyl, I really do. When handled well, it offers an interesting complexity. The examples I've been trying have all been more English in their approach, like fuggles ipa. I'm not sure what a big PNW hop would do with the yeast.

Was it Old Thumper ESA? That stuff is like buttered toast, it doesnt taste bad but its not my cup of tea.

Old thumper is amazing. To me that is a great example of diacetyl used well. Unfortunately no breweries around me are making authentic english styles. Sure we have great beer here, but no one is making beer like this over here.

The gritty mcduff 21 ipa I had recently was a good example of diacetyl out of control, IMO. Not buttered toast but unpopped fresh bag of microwaved popcorn. Drinkable yes, but it covered all aroma hops. Can't wait to try a few others I have.

Old thumper is amazing. To me that is a great example of diacetyl used well. Unfortunately no breweries around me are making authentic english styles. Sure we have great beer here, but no one is making beer like this over here.

The gritty mcduff 21 ipa I had recently was a good example of diacetyl out of control, IMO. Not buttered toast but unpopped fresh bag of microwaved popcorn. Drinkable yes, but it covered all aroma hops. Can't wait to try a few others I have.

Surely you have RedHook ESB out there? Considering their other brewery is in WA. Thats been my favorite, (of a limited experience with) English styles.

I cant remember what I thought of Gritty's 21, dont think I loved it, but I agree, diacetyl has no place in IPA.

Yep it's great. I make all my continuously hopped IPA's (i.e. 60 Minute and 90 Minute clones) with 1187.

Even built a zopinator like device to do the work for me. Works great. Now if I can only get the hopstopper to work better. Ever since I switched to the Therminator, my hopstopper sucks donkeydick. Worked great with an IC/whirlpool but I digress...

photo-3-1.jpg

can you send me the plans for that zopinator..ive been looking desperately for some with pictures

I don't really have plans. I can tell you it's a 4" ID clear PVC tube from mcmaster with a teflon disc and a 1 RPM motor (also from mcmaster) mounted to the tube using a custom machined tube to motor bracket. I also have a machined clamp to mount it on a tripod (not shown).

I made this awhile back and I no longer have the drawings for the clamp and tube to motor bracket as that PC crashed and I lost the files as I wasn't backing up that machine. Sorry I can't be of more help.

is there a hole or something in the teflon...how to the hops come out in certain increments

Yes, at the periphery there is an oval hole/slot. The slot is 1/4" x 3/8". I also have 4 pins sticking out of the plate to rouse the pellets but I have found this is unnecessary. I over thought that...

Back