IPA/Vienna Malt - All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrSnake

Reaction score
Default IPA/Vienna Malt - All Grain

I'm going to brew two IPAs. Here is the main recipe down below. For the second recipe I will be using WLP 001 and citra/magnum hops. I want to match these beers up. My question is about the Vienna malt. Is it pointless with the Marris Otter? I understand Vienna is considered a base malt (buttt maltier), and I'm wondering if this will create a messy blend of 'base malt' flavors in my finished product. However, if I make any alterations in this recipe it goes off the grid, in which at its stage it's perfect. Haha let me know what you guys think and your experiences with these yeast strains, hops, and Vienna. Thanks and keep brewing.

5.5 Gallon
Yeast:WLP 007/WLP 001
Starter: Yup
O.G. 1.071
SRM: 6.04
Temp: 64

10# American 2 Row
2.5# Marris Otter
.5# Carapils
1# Vienna Malt
.125# crystal 80

Hops: .5 oz cascade 60 min
1 oz chinook 45 min.
1 oz. cascade 10 min.
.5 oz chinook 10 min.

Dry Hop
1 oz cascade
1oz chinook

12# American 2 Row
.5# Carapils
1.5# Vienna Malt
.125# crystal 80

i would sub the 2.5 of MO for 2 of 2-row and 0.5 more vienna. I think that using the two specialty-base malts would cause a muddled flavor. I think the flavor of vienna is better with your hops than MO.

Edit - If that makes it too dark, I would change the 80 for 60 or 40. 80 feels out of place to me, but I like my IPAs with really light crystal.

Back