IPA using Oat and Carawheat???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luizffgarcia

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am trying to brew something similar to a great IPA i found in Quebec, its the LTM SS IPA.

I have found no clones at all for this one, but the label states the following ingredients:

Grains
Pale (2 row i guess),
Oat,
Carawheat

Hops
Simcoe, Citra, Chinook, Centennial

OG 13.9P
FG 2.8P

I have even harvested the yeast from their bottles and i will create a few starters from that.

My main question here is, how would you go about the grain bill %? I have never used oat or carawheat. This beer looks hazy like a wheat beer, but it is one of the best IPAs i have ever tried.

I appreciate all the help i can get with this :)

What type of oats? Flaked or Malted? As simple as that grain bill is, I would shoot for something like 83% 2row, 15% flaked oats and 2% carawheat.

If the oats are malted, I would likely back down the percentage to ~10%. I like the flavor of malted oats, but it is substantially different than flaked oats. Most recipes in this fashion (neipa) use a plethora of flaked oats.

What type of oats? Flaked or Malted? As simple as that grain bill is, I would shoot for something like 83% 2row, 15% flaked oats and 2% carawheat.

If the oats are malted, I would likely back down the percentage to ~10%. I like the flavor of malted oats, but it is substantially different than flaked oats. Most recipes in this fashion (neipa) use a plethora of flaked oats.

I am not sure which oats specifically, the label only say oats :)

Thanks for this, i was thinking something similar.

Latest posts

Back