IPA Starter Culture Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlifecrisis

Reaction score
I've got a IPA coming from AHS (OG 1.059) with White Labs California Ale WLP001 liquid yeast and I'm getting set up to make a starter culture. I've never done a starter but I've got a 1L erlenmeyer and stir bar, stir plate, and I've got plenty of extra light DME. My plan was to boil 1L of DME with about 110 g of DME for 10 min at 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrients at the end of the boil (per Palmer), check the OG, cool to room temp and then pour into the Erlenmeyer and pitch the liquid yeast.

I have a few questions:
1) 1L of culture seems a bit much in a 1L erlenmeyer. Is it better to just add 0.8 L or so in this size flask and give the yeast a bit more head room?

2) I was shooting for a OG in the starter of 1.040 to 1.045 since the beer is 1.059. I know too high a OG for a starter is not recommended but should I shoot for closer to 1.040?

3) How fast should I stir it?

4) Anything else about my plan sound problematic?

Thanks

I feel a 1L flask is not very useful, a 2L is much better and gives you lots of room. Keep the OG of your start in the 1.03-1.04 range you are not trying to make beer but grow yeast. Spin it just fast enough so you see a vortex you do not need to go hog wild. I have a 1L 2L 4L and 5L flasks and I hardly ever use the 1L anymore.

I've got a IPA coming from AHS (OG 1.059) with White Labs California Ale WLP001 liquid yeast and I'm getting set up to make a starter culture. I've never done a starter but I've got a 1L erlenmeyer and stir bar, stir plate, and I've got plenty of extra light DME. My plan was to boil 1L of DME with about 110 g of DME for 10 min at 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrients at the end of the boil (per Palmer), check the OG, cool to room temp and then pour into the Erlenmeyer and pitch the liquid yeast.

I have a few questions:
1) 1L of culture seems a bit much in a 1L erlenmeyer. Is it better to just add 0.8 L or so in this size flask and give the yeast a bit more head room?

Your problem will be during the boil keeping the starter from boiling over (assuming you are boiling in the flask) Adding a bit of an anti foaming agent such as fermcap will help a lot there) You are better off leaving a little head room for any foaming that will occur during fermentation as well. Many of us go with 2000ml flasks as it allows us to make the bigger starters in the 14-1600ml region for heavier beers.

2) I was shooting for a OG in the starter of 1.040 to 1.045 since the beer is 1.059. I know too high a OG for a starter is not recommended but should I shoot for closer to 1.040?

1.040 is the recommended starter size to grow a culture without stressing the yeast too much.

3) How fast should I stir it?

Just fast enough to keep everything moving. If you get a small dimple on top that is usually plenty fast. If youturn it up till the vortex goes all the way to the bottom the stir bar tends to get thrown more often.

4) Anything else about my plan sound problematic?

Nope, looks pretty good.

Thanks Zen and Brewboy--I'll grab a sterile 2L flask at the lab (I'm a scientist). :D

Since I'm lucky enough to have pre-sterilized erlenmeyer's--I was just going to boil the DME mix in a pan on the stove--cool the covered pan in some icewater in the sink and then pour into the 2L erlenmeyer (with a sterile stir bar inside).

I'll shoot for an OG of 1.040 so I don't stress the yeast.

I've been growing yeast in the lab for years (for my research) but growing yeast for brewing is a very different affair!

Thanks again for the help!

Nothing wrong with the way you want to do it, but you can save a couple steps and further reduce opportunities for contamination. Erlenmeyers are designed to withstand temp extremes. So many people just prepare the starter right in the flask. Put the flask on the stove burner and boil for 10-15 minutes. The heat of boiling and the steam sanitize the flask.

Remove from the burner and drop the flask in some cool water and add ice to cool. Put a piece of sanitized foil on top of the flask while cooling. Once it is cool just peel back the foil, tilt the flask and slide the sanitized stir bar in then add the yeast.

Either way it's all good. Happy brewing.

Back