IPA Recipe...wondering what others think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanS86

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm relatively new to the whole brewing thing and just made two new batches. Just bottled a Belgian Wit that tastes amazing, but I put together an IPA recipe (I hope) and brewed it last Thursday and just moved it to secondary. It smells great but wanted to know what others might think. Here she is:

3.3 Lbs Munton's Pale LME
4 Lbs Alexander's Pale LME

1 Lb Marris Otter
1 Lb Crystal 20L
1 Lb Biscuit Malt
1 Lb CaraPils

2 Oz Simcoe (60 Min)
1 Oz Nugget (40 Min)
1 Oz Willamette (15 Min)
1 Oz Chinook (Dry hop)

Wyeast Pacman Yeast (love rogue, wanted to try theirs)

I'd love any feedback that anyone has! I'm drinking an Ithaca Flower Power IPA and it got me wondering how mine might turn out...

I would have moved some of the Simcoe to the flavor regions, I love the unique flavor profile it has, but thats me.

looks pretty good. should be pretty damn bitter. it seems like a lot of carapils. did you want more body than is typical of most IPA's?

Yeah, if I was going to use that set of hops, I'd use the chinook for bittering (60 min), nugget at 40, 1 ounce of simcoe at 15, 1 ounce of simcoe at flame out, and probably leave the willamette out of this one. If you have some more simcoe, use some more of that for dry hopping.

Actually, if you have some more simcoe, use that for everything, or everything but the 60 minute addition. :D

Also, as was said, that's a lot of Carapils. And biscuit too, IMO. I don't know that you're really going to get too much from a pound of Maris Otter, unless you're doing a partial mash and using it to help convert the other grains.

I did want to add more body, mainly because the last IPA I did lacked a bit in body. Maybe over did it a bit. I chose the hops because of what I had left from two other batches (was shopping online and kind of went crazy on ordering a bit of everything). I definitely agree that the Simcoe should be used later on in the boil but was trying to think of something different with what I had. Definitely my least orthodox approach but wanted to see what happened. The biscuit malt was an after thought that my local homebrew store own and I thought might add a lil something else.

Poobah, I think he is just steeping.

I am going to vote for dropping the carapils or crystal by half, otherwise its gonna be pretty sweet (I would half both). I never had great attenuation using extract, so I would be careful about too many unfermentables. Your hop bill is kinda all over. I prefer simpler hop bills, but have had some kitchen sink brews that were pretty good. I think its a crapshoot whether it will end up "complex" or "muddled".

Do whatever you want man, thats part of the fun. Almost 2 years in, I still have not made the same recipe twice.

i'm going to be happy with it no matter what, but i agree with all the comments. and yes, just steeping, trying to plan my move to partial mash/AG. thanks for all the comments!

Latest posts

Back