IPA recipe. Too many hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mathin

Reaction score
Here's a recipe I'm working on ... wondering if it has too many hops. (Is that possible?)

My thought is to get a nice base recipe with some easy to get hops (Cascade/Centennial) and change up the late hops (sub Citra or Mosaic, etc. for the Amarillo).

All feedback appreciated.

Volume: 5.50

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.070
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.019
Estimated Alcohol% (ABV): 6.70
Estimated Bitterness (IBU): 57

2 Row 12 lbs
Caramel/Crystal 40 0.50 lbs
Flaked Wheat 0.50 lbs
Munich 10L 2 lbs

Cascade (6.25%) 1 oz First Wort

Centennial (10.25%) 1 oz Boil 60.00 min

Cascade (6.25%) 1 oz Boil 15.00 min
Centennial (10.25%) 1 oz Boil 15.00 min

Cascade (6.25%) 1 oz Boil 5.00 min
Centennial (10.25%) 1 oz Boil 5.00 min

Amarillo (10.40%) 1 oz Add at knockout
Cascade (6.25%) 1 oz Add at knockout

Amarillo (10.40%) 1 oz Dry Hop 7.00 days
Cascade (6.25%) 1 oz Dry Hop 7.00 days

American Ale II (WYeast 1272)

Mash at 152 degrees for 60.00 minutes

Looks like a pretty good base recipe you can mess around with. But I think your IBU calculations may be a bit off. Just from the two bittering additions I get over 80 IBUs. I would think you'd want to tone down the FWH or the 60 addition a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That looks to me like a great recipe. If I were in your position, I might want to ensure that the FG is a bit lower than 1.019; I like my IPA dry, even when it starts big (and I'd say 1.070 counts as big). Maybe mash at 149 instead of 152, and consider replacing a little of the 2-row with sugar instead. But I realize it's a matter of taste. You could also consider using something other than 1272, which is a pretty low attenuator by American standards.

The IBU discrepancy might be due to how different calculations treat FWH. I wouldn't worry too much about the number, though. You're going to be approaching the limit of perception, which is fine for this type of beer.

Looks good to me and no there is not too many hops. Love the combination of cascade, centennial and amarillo

motorneuron, what yeast(s) would you recommend? I had thought about using Wyeast 1332 (northwest ale).

On the mash temp, I do BIAB and usually loose 4-5 degrees over the hour ... So that might work in my favor.

Thanks all for the feedback!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

1272 is fine if you follow some of the other advice (e.g. a little sugar, lower mash temp). Not sure exactly how the sugar profile looks with temperature decay; I'm not an expert. But I would think that starting lower--say, 150--would be important, because I think the initial temperature is more important than the final temperature (at least for normal volumes of wort and normal temperature losses for homebrew scale operations).

I think 1332 is an even lower attenuator than 1272. You could try the ole standby, 1056, or also something like pacman or the San Diego super yeast (White Labs 090).

No such thing as too many hops to me but I agree, your IBU's are way off.
I pretty much agree with motorneuron, I like adding some sugar to dry things out and I mash at 150.
I like 05 or 001 in my IPA's but that's just me.

I'll try plugging the recipe into a few more tools to see what IBUs I get. I've used 1056 in the past and happy with it ... may just go back to that.

I'm interested the sugar addition ... how much would you recommend?

Usually keep sugar around 10% of the total grain bill, I say double the dry hop and knockout additions. Do a hop stand with those knockout like 20min. Should be awesome.

There is some confusion about sugar. You can't just add it to dry out the beer--that is, you don't just take your recipe and then add some sugar to it. Instead, you have to replace some of your base malt with sugar. Unlike the carbohydrates extracted from grain, the sugar ferments out at nearly 100%. So it adds to your OG (and ABV) but keeps your FG low; it also adds virtually no flavor. But yeah, for a 1.070 beer, I'd think about 5% sucrose isn't a bad plan, and 10% would be fine too. Some Belgian beers use up to 20% sugar at about the 1.080-1.090 range, but there's no need to go that high for an American IPA.

Nothing wrong with increasing the aroma hops--you can always add more aroma hops!

I would drink it! The last 5 gal ipa I made has 10 oz of hops!!!! Yummy!!!

I would drink it! The last 5 gal ipa I made has 10 oz of hops!!!! Yummy!!!

I just made a 1.077 MO/Citra SMaSH DIPA with 12oz of citra.

18lb - Maris Otter

1oz - FWH (90 min boil)
1oz - 30min
1oz - 15min
2oz - 10min
2oz - 5min
2oz - 1min
3oz - Dry Hop

Denny's Favorite 50 - WY1450

Brewtarget calculates 114.5 IBU (Tinseth). It's been in the fermenter for 10 days and has smelled just fantastic the whole time, I just added the dry hops a few minutes ago and plan to leave it until next weekend, then cold-crash for a few days.

I had 1.5lb of citra in the freezer and decided to start doing something with it. :)

Back