IPA Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi_Jonno

Reaction score
Hi,

Im thinking of brewing an IPA. Firstly though I wanna work out the fermentables needed to get OG to 1056-1075. - American IPA from BrewSmith.

It seems straight forward working if out, but I can only buy LME in cans (no DME and too exp).

Also, Im having trouble with my last 2 brews fermenting out. My Brown Beer from 1044 OG, only got down to 1015 after 3 weeks primary with Safale US-05.

This makes me think I could use corn sugar as well as extract. This should ferment out better, and not give TOO much body for the IPA? Its a hell of a lot cheaper too.

What do you think of the below ideas? Note, am gonna be using a lot of pellet hops so don't wanna be too expensive.

Note, batch size is 6.6 US Gallons

1) For fermentables I could use...

2x 3.97lbs Muntons LME Cans @ $15/16 each
1.10lbs Corn Sugar
1lbs Crystal Grain (steeping)
Safale US-04 @ $4

Estimated OG = 1052 Cost = $34-$36

2) For fermentables I could use...

3x 3.2lbs LME Cans @ $14 each
1.10lbs Corn Sugar
1lbs Crystal Grain (steeping)
Safale US-04 @ $4

Estimated OG = 1063 Cost = $46-$46

(3x Muntons 3.97 LME Cans will give OG=1066 but $52 total!!! Plus Hops!)

Either way its pretty hard to get a good OG and lower cost with the set can sizes. Im really not trusting this yeast to ferment out well either Safale US-05/04.

Any thoughts appreciated. Batch size needs to be 6.6 gallons. Thanks a lot.

I'd hate to see you regret using the corn sugar, but at the quantity you're talking about, you probably wouldn't notice it too much.

What about another lb or two of grain?

I really like about a lb of Vienna in my IPA's, and about a 1/2 lb of Dextrine.

You could do a Quasi Partial-mash in the oven if you have an all-metal saucepan, and a strainer, thus relying a little more on the specialty grain for some gravity points?

I'd hate to see you regret using the corn sugar, but at the quantity you're talking about, you probably wouldn't notice it too much.

You could do a Quasi Partial-mash in the oven if you have an all-metal saucepan, and a strainer, thus relying a little more on the specialty grain for some gravity points?

Thanks for your help.

I have got quite a bit of the crystal/caramal grain. Also chocolate grain but probably not for IPA?

How much crystal should I use? And is there a point where there is no real benefit using more?

Thanks

:off: Sea...is it my imagination or have you been a little more scarce lately. Good to see you around anyway...:mug:

Kiwi - get a good sized starter and aerate the crap out of that wort.

:off: Sea...is it my imagination or have you been a little more scarce lately. Good to see you around anyway...:mug:

Kiwi - get a good sized starter and aerate the crap out of that wort.

I used dry yeast - it was rehydrated 45min before pitched. Started bubbling and fermenting pretty fast so I think it was aerated enough...

Unless there is a lot of unfermentables in the LME?

Thanks for your help.

I have got quite a bit of the crystal/caramal grain. Also chocolate grain but probably not for IPA?

How much crystal should I use? And is there a point where there is no real benefit using more?

Thanks

I would probably use about a lb of 20L, and maybe a 1/2 lb of 60L for a little color and body, but that's me, I like west coast style IPA's

And yes, you don't wan't to use too much, as it's unfermentable sugars are used to impart some sweetness, mouthfeel, and color.

QUOTE]

Thanks Bier, yeah, I haven't had as much free time lately, but then I'm sure you know how that goes.:)

OK, Im gonna bite the bullet and go ALL-MALT. What do you think of this recipe? Is a pretty bitter IPA, I have increased volume also. (more beer and less cost!).

Type: Extract
Date: 17/08/2008
Batch Size: 7.13 gal
Boil Size: 2.51 gal

Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.97 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 30.51 %
3.97 lb Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 30.51 %
3.97 lb Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 30.51 %
1.10 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.47 %
1.00 oz Southern Cross [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 9.6 IBU
0.75 oz Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.60 %] (30 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
0.75 oz Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.60 %] (20 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
0.75 oz Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.60 %] (10 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
0.75 oz Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.60 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
0.75 oz Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.60 %] (1 min) Hops 0.2 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.87 %
Bitterness: 46.3 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 12.7 SRM

Would adding another hop type as well as the Hallertauer be worth it? To add complexity? Thanks all.

Any thoughts? Is 46 IBU's about right for this beer?

I slightly changed the hop amounts as the Southern Cross was 14.8 IBU's, and the Hallertauer was 6.1 IBU's. Are the hop times ok though?

A normal range for American IPAs is 40 - 60 or so. If you are having attenuation problems or concerns than you might end up with more residual sweetness than you planned, so make sure it is bitter enough to balance that out. Personally, I would drop the 30 minute addition and I would use it to dry hop instead.

I know others will recommend against it, but you should go ahead and put some sugar in there. I guarantee that you will not taste it. Not with 12 lbs of LME! Keep it to less than 10% of your fermentables, ie. 1.2 lbs or so, and you will not notice it. If you have had a problem with fermenting out all the way in the past the simple sugar is going to really help the fermentation process... you have a lot of sugars for the yeast to work through, and the simple sugars will give them a helping hand. (Your ABV should still end up about 6, which is on the low end for an IPA).

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

Back