IPA recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hercules Rockefeller

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I have a question about an IPA recipe I am working on. I need some advice on a good middle hop addition, something to add around 30 - 15 miinutes to give it a good hop flavor. I want to focus on getting a floral, citrusy flavor. and I want to hit about 90- 100 IBU here is the recipe I have so far:

8 oz crystal 60
8 oz Victory

9 lbs LME
8 oz maltodextrine powder

2 oz northern brewer pellets @ 60 min
1 oz Galena Pellets @ 60 min
???? @30 - 15 min
1 oz amarillo pellets @ 5 min
1 oz cascade pellets @ 1 min
1 oz cascade pellets (dry hop)

Safale us 56

I think I should get the bitterness I want from the NB and Galena @ 60 min, and I have the aroma covered with the amarillo and cascade hops, I'm just wanting a little more flavor in the middle. any suggestions are appreciated!

This is what I did, and so far, it seems really tasty (definately more citrusy than floral, though; this is very grapefruity).

HOPS:
0.50 Warrior (60)

0.40 Centential (30)
0.40 Amarillo (30)
0.40 Cascade (30)

0.85 Centential (15)
0.85 Amarillo (15)
0.85 Cascade (15)

0.50 Centential (5)
0.50 Amarillo (5)
0.50 Cascade (5)

0.25 Centential (0)
0.25 Amarillo (0)
0.25 Cascade (0)

Dryhop: half-ounce each of Cascade, Centenial, Amarillo

I ended up without any Warrior, so I think I used 0.75 Centenial in its place for bittering (or, it might have been Chinook). But, the Centenial, Cascade, Amarillo combination seems to be very tasty. I also didn't shoot for too much bitterness with my 60-minute addition, instread doing a TON of later additions to really bring out the flavor. IBUs, as per BeerSmith, were around 90.

I also really like the combo of Northern Brewer and Cascade that Walker uses. His Kaduva IPA has an almost continual hop addition during the last half of the boil, you might look at that for ideas.

Bird,
Those both look like good suggestions. I like the hop schedule you posted but seaching on the board about Walker's IPA recipe it looks like that one has quite a following also. I can't decide so I'll just have to brew one and then the other next week. what a burden it will be having all that IPA on hand...

I can absolutely vouch for Walker's IPA; I've had my version and I;ve had his, they are outstanding. Mine, I am very optimistic about, but it's still a couple weeks away from real sampling. Do his recipe before mine.

I'd suggest Centennial. I use it on a couple of APA/IPAs at the 30 minute mark (and occasionally dry hop with it).

Hercules Rockefeller said:
Bird,
Those both look like good suggestions. I like the hop schedule you posted but seaching on the board about Walker's IPA recipe it looks like that one has quite a following also. I can't decide so I'll just have to brew one and then the other next week. what a burden it will be having all that IPA on hand...

Wow- what a coincidence! I happen to offer a FREE IPA disposal service. To thank everyone on this board for their kind support, I am willing to take these burdensome beers off your hands. And I promise to give them a good (albeit temporary) home. :D

Lorena

Latest posts

Back