IPA Recipe Critique using DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhblake

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am looking to create a DME IPA Recipe and use up some ingredients that I have lying around. Let me know what you think or if you could suggest any improvments. I typically do allgrain but lately it's rough with two little ones, work and family, so i'm trying to create a recipe i can knock out in the evening so i'm not going to bed at 3am - 4 am.
5 gallon recipe

6lbs Amber DME - debatable
.5 Saaz @ 60 - Left over from previous recipe would like to use
.5 Chinook @ 60 - Left over from previous recipe would like to use
1 oz Citra @ 30 - debatable
1 oz Citra @ 5 - debatable
Pitch yeast cake of US-05

So i believe that should land me at around 80 - 90 IBU's i would determine whether to dry hop down the road after tasting. so questions i have are should i use 2 different type of DME maybe 3lbs amber and 3 lbs light for complexity? should are spread out the hops in a different time schedule? I have not used citra before but know that it can be both a wonderful taste and aroma. Any input or Criticism would be greatly appreciated.

I'll leave the criticism for more experienced brewers but you could add complexity by steeping some grains. Maybe crystal 40L?

If it was my beer, I"d use light (or extra light) DME, and steep some specialty grains. Crystal malt is good, and so is another malt like victory.

I'd add the bulk of the extract at flame out, to keep the flavor from tasting "cooked extract" like, and to keep the color light.

I'd use plenty of late hops, like this:

bittering hops 60 minutes (40 IBUs with this addition)
1 oz hops 15 minutes
1 oz hops 5 minutes
1 oz hops 0 minutes

dryhop

Back