IPA Recipe - Am I on the right track?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeknere

Reaction score
Started putting this together today. Hoping to brew it tomorrow. How does it look?

7 lbs light DME
1 Lb Crystal 40
.5 Lb Crystal 120

1 Oz Simcoe - 60 Min
1 Oz Brewers Gold - 45 Min
1 Oz Amarillo - 15 Min
.5 Oz Simcoe - 5 Min
.5 Oz Simcoe - Dry Hop

Wyeast 1056

Was kicking around adding some other grain, also thinking about dry hopping with a full oz of Simcoe instead of half.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't really have much experience creating recipes, so I'm hoping I'm on the right track.

I would definitely dry hop with no less then 1oz of hops. Whenever I dry hop with 1oz I always wished I'd of used 2oz.

Good luck.

That is a whole lot of crystal, way too much. You are already going to have a fair amount of non-fermentables in the DME, you don't want to add that much more.

IPAs are typically a drier style that say APA so I would stick to 1/2lb total crystal but you can put 2 different kinds if you want. If you had centennial on hand I would toss that is as a dry hop too.

Remove the Crystal completely. Add about 1.5 lbs of Victory malt, and 1 lb of Torrified Wheat (for head retention and mouthfeel). Use 2 whirfloc tablets in last 15 mins of boil. MAKE SURE YOU CRASH COOL FAST!

If the beer is still cloudy before you rack to secondary, add some gelatin (if your kegging). It will clear out without a problem.

Ølbart;1912592 said:
Victory malt has no diastatic power to convert the torrified wheat, so you really shouldn't do that.

Actually.... Victory Malt has a diastatic power of 50, so it can actually convert the Torrified Wheat. Just needs to be steeped for a full hour.

Most sources claim it has none, and Briess themselves say nothing. Still, I'd definitely not use torrified wheat without a bunch of 2-row to convert it.

Latest posts

Back