IPA recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapae

Reaction score
Brew day coming up soon and wanted a good IPA. I wrote this recipe and wondered if anyone wants to throw out any advice. I've never used munich and don't know if it will work or how much. Also never used these hops in this combination.
Sock it to me..

Batch Size: 6.00 gal Style: American IPA
Color: 7.5 SRM
Bitterness: 71.8 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.069
Est FG: 1.014 SG
ABV: 7.2%

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
10.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60 min)
13 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.25oz Centennial [10.0%] - First Wort Hops
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - First Wort Hops
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - First Wort
0.4 oz Magnum [14.0%] - Boil 60 min
0.25 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 15 min
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 15 min
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 15 min
1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 10 min
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 10 min
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 10 min
0.25 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 5 min
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 5 min
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 5 min
1.0 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 0 min
Starter California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)
1.0 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Dry Hop 5 days

Looks pretty good, I would tend to add some of the middle hops toward the end (ie. maybe take the 10min hops and add more at 5 min and flameout). Also I like to add a little more to the dry hop, maybe reserve the colombus from the 15 and 10 and add that as a secondary dry hop. Centennial for 5 days, then add colombus for an additional 5 days. Just an idea.

I think your real question is about the Munich, and a pound is just fine there. I personally like Crystal 20 in my IPAs, but it looks like you are going for a little more malt characteristic with the munich and 40. I think what you have will do just fine.

I dont have much experience in the IPA business, but i tried doing a hop stand after flameout the last time. I added the flameout addition after cooling to about 180f and let it sit there for about 20 min. It was a single hop simcoe IPA, which unfortunately came out a little on the sweet side, but the hop aroma was spot on, and definately a very drinkable beer anyway.

check this out:
http://byo.com/component/k2/item/2808-hop-stands

ive gotten more compliments and people digging my IPAs when I have added more late hops then trying to bitter it as much.

I would make a couple of changes. One, I don't care at all for the caramel malt flavor in an IPA. To me, it just adds a sweetness to the beer that covers up a lot of the hop flavor. But some people like it. You just need to experiment and see what you like. Two, I would dry hop with more than that. You are doing a ton of late hop additions, which is good, but I think you should follow it up with some more dry-hopping. You can also consider doing two dry additions a week or so apart. Add the second dose in after you remove the first. Of course, you need to have the hops in something in order to remove them if you wanted to do this. Just dumping them in the fermenter probably won't cut it.

I would make a couple of changes. One, I don't care at all for the caramel malt flavor in an IPA. To me, it just adds a sweetness to the beer that covers up a lot of the hop flavor. But some people like it. You just need to experiment and see what you like. Two, I would dry hop with more than that. You are doing a ton of late hop additions, which is good, but I think you should follow it up with some more dry-hopping. You can also consider doing two dry additions a week or so apart. Add the second dose in after you remove the first. Of course, you need to have the hops in something in order to remove them if you wanted to do this. Just dumping them in the fermenter probably won't cut it.

I've done ok double dry hopping right in the fermenter. The first charge sinks to the bottom and the second charge sinks down on top of those. I do about 3 days with the first charge, then 3 days with the second charge, then cold crash and bottle.

+1 on more dry hops for an IPA

good recipe. i like a lot of columbus in my ipa. imho ... greatest ipa hop, and i add a ton of it. awesome for dry hop, really adds a nose to your beer, and the right amount of bitter.

I was just using the beersmith gypsum default. I was going to use half a teaspoon.

All great advice, more dry hops it is.

Thanks everyone

Back