IPA - Recipe Advice Needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowden

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking to do an IPA for my 2nd homebrew batch (first was a fairly successful rendition of Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde - turned out really well). My favorite commercial IPA is Great Lakes' Chillwave Double IPA. My goal is to recreate a lower alcohol version of Chillwave (make it more of a session IPA?) while keeping true to the flavor/aroma of that beer - it has some out of this world tropical/citrus notes.

Here is a description of Chillwave Double IPA from Great Lake's website: Chillwave Double IPA Info

And here is my attempt at an extract version doing a partial boil, with steeping of the specialty grains (info from Brewer's Friend):

Method: Extract
Style: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
OG: 1.061
FG: 1.015
IBU: 53.61
ABV: 6.11%

Ingredients
7 lb Amber dry malt extract
0.5 lb Caramel/Crystal 40L
0.5 lb Honey Malt
1 oz Nugget (14%) @ 60 min
1 oz Mosaic (12%) @ 20 min
1 oz Cascade (7%) @ 5 min
1 oz Mosaic (12%) dry hop for 7 days in secondary.
1 oz Cascade (7%) dry hop for 7 days in secondary.

Steep Caramel/Honey malt for 30 min @ 155 degrees.
Primary for 2 weeks. Transfer to secondary for dry hopping.

I am not 100% sure I am hitting the nail on the head with the hop schedule. I definitely appreciate any thoughts/critiques/suggestions! Thank you in advance for your help!

I have never bad that beer, but I would have more late hops.

Thanks, Ramitt. Would more Mosaic fit the bill? Looks like it can be used throughout the boil.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Your recipe looks pretty good. I have not had that beer but I would look at the using a more base malt closer to the Harrington malt used in the original. It only adds 1.7L the amber will add more I also would change the Last two hop additions do the cascade at 15 minutes and the mosaic 5 minutes or at knock out. If you do it at heat off (knock out) let it sit for ten minutes to let the oils get into the wort. I may have to try this.

Use mosaic whenever. It is a great hop. Personally, I love it as a dry hop and late addition.

Your recipe looks pretty good. I have not had that beer but I would look at the using a more base malt closer to the Harrington malt used in the original. It only adds 1.7L the amber will add more I also would change the Last two hop additions do the cascade at 15 minutes and the mosaic 5 minutes or at knock out. If you do it at heat off (knock out) let it sit for ten minutes to let the oils get into the wort. I may have to try this.

Thanks for the info, Stewby. Would light dry malt extract be closer to Harrington? I'm still in the process of learning about all of the grain varieties.

Overall I think it looks good. I have never used Mosiac before but I have heard good things. I would agree with Stewby and do the Cascade at 15 and Mosiac at 5 minutes. Maybe increase the late hop additions if you would like. I don't think it would hurt.

I would let it ferment for 3 weeks then dry hop. That way you give the yeast a little bit more time to do it's work and it will result in a cleaner tasting beer.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions!

So if I swap the Cascade and Mosaic and do the Mosaic at 5 minutes, would you recommend doubling the 5 min addition to 2 oz.?

do not use amber malt, it'll make your beer too dark. use light or golden DME. the crytal malts should provide enough color. cut back on the honey malt to 1/4 or maybe a 1/3 of a pound. the stuff is powerful and Chillwave isn't that sweet.

nugget at 60 looks right. use however much you need to get 80 IBUs total, taking into consideration late hopping.

i would do something along the lines of:
1 oz Mosaic (12%) @ 10 min
1 oz Cascade (7%) @ 5 min
1 oz Mosaic (12%) @ 0 min
1 oz Cascade (7%) @ 0 min
1 oz Mosaic (12%) dry hop for 7 days in secondary.
1 oz Cascade (7%) dry hop for 7 days in secondary.

there is a lengthy debate about the need/desirability of using a secondary. personally i never use a secondary for my IPAs, i dry-hop in primary. 3 weeks on the yeast won't cause any problems, and racking to secondary is an additional opportunity for oxidation and infection.

Awesome, thanks for the input Sweetcell!

Follow up question on hopping during latter part of boil. What are your guys thoughts on something like this:

0.5 Mosaic, 0.5 Cascade - 15 min
0.5 Mosaic, 0.5 Cascade - 10 min
0.5 Mosaic, 0.5 Cascade - 5 min
0.5 Mosaic, 0.5 Cascade - 0 min

Nugget at 60 and dry hops remain the same.

Would I be better off separating out the additions to one variety at a time? Still learning the ropes and want to maximize my chances of success! Thanks!

I recently started using Magnum at the 60 (or 90) minute addition - it has a very clean and neutral bitter that works with any flavor/aroma hop. Only exception are the SMaSH experiments.

Thanks, pablos. I am trying to mimic Great Lakes' Chillwave IIPA, which uses Nugget for bittering; I'll be sticking with that. Good info on the Magnum, though. I will file that away for future brews!

Back