IPA not bottle carbonating.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtisrael

Reaction score
Hi all,

The IPA I recently brewed doesn't seemed to be bottle carbonating. It's O.G. was 1.072 and FG 1.015. I used San Diego Super yeast and got a very active fermentation. It's been in the bottle for 1 month. It's unchanged from when I checked it 2 weeks ago. When I open the bottle I hear the gas release but there's no significant carbonation. I definitely added priming sugar to the bottling bucket and it mixed well. I have temperature control so it's stored at around 70 degrees. I've never had this happen before. Any advice?

I cold crashed for several days after I dry hopped. To test the beer I took it out of my temperature control fridge and chilled for 24 hours.

Try chilling them 5-7 days. It works better in my experience. It also gives any chill haze a chance to form & settle out.

I've had big beers take a long time to bottle carb, so I wouldn't worry for another few weeks. +1 on putting them in the fridge a few days before opening. Pour vigorously!

I used the amount of sugar for 5 gallons. I actually had 4.5 gallons so it should be more than enough.

I used the amount of sugar for 5 gallons. I actually had 4.5 gallons so it should be more than enough.

I only bottled a couple of batches before I starting kegging but it seems like they were just starting to get carbonated at 2 weeks. Try again in a week or two. 24 hours should be plenty to cool them off in fridge.

Back